Why did my duck die?

jambalaya123

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2023
This morning, I discovered one of my Muscovy drakes dead. He was on his back, belly up, with the head extended and arched over his back (so underneath him). This duck did not give any previous signs of sickness that I could notice. Then I found another drake - this duck was not dead at the time, just very weak, unable to move, unwilling to eat or drink. I brought him inside and offered him vitamin B complex and electrolytes in water. He did not want anything. I kept him warm and isolated, hoping he would recover.

I noticed the second duck being a little bit less jovial the past 2-3 days, he seemed to be dragging his wings, puffing his chest, and standing in a penguin-like position. I assumed he was depressed due to the nonstop rain that we had, so I just fed him extra food and supplements and hoped he would get better.

So I brought him inside after I found him weak. In a couple hours, he started having a difficult time keeping his head up, and he started experiencing contractions. The legs, wings and head would contract, and the body was arching. In about an hour, he died in the same position that I found the first duck - the neck over-extended and arched backwards on his back.

We have a small lake on our property, so I thought it may be botulism from the water, although it's been raining and it is pretty could outside (ranging between 40-55 F). We had two ducks die from botulism during summer time (we had no rain for months and it was extremely hot outside). But the position in which they died and the contractions make me think of tetanus. Could ducks even develop tetanus?

Please let me know what you guys think and if any more information is needed. I am terrified of having my other ducks suffer like.

Back
Top Bottom