Why did my hen lay egg on the perch?

CackleFan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Massachusetts
One of my BR laid an egg while she was up 8-feet high on the perch! It fell down and broke. After that, all the hens rushed to eat it, and she herself jumped down to join too. Has this happened to you?
roll.png

I have had it to were one egg will break and they all just start eating on it
hmm.png
i dont know why though i come home to find my chickens all covered in yellow yolk and then i have to bathe them :eek: it gets really anoying.

I have had it happen a few times, but I have never seen it happen. If she is just starting to lay it may be that she was surprised by the egg.

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry about the WWIII, they are lucky to have you to help through this adjustment time. You'll be sooo glad to had everyone here at BYC, it's full of information, and everyone is very helpful. Good luck tomorrow, I know the sun comes up and it's always a brighter day, even if there are challenges, you'll be able to cope with the help of BYC!!
D.gif

Thanks to all! She is just starting to lay, hope she will lay in the nesting box later. I did get three double-yolk eggs from another hen! That is three big surprises for me!!

Welcome CackleFan. Finding eggs on the roost is pretty common. I found one the other day sitting on the top roost and it wasn't broken. Talk about luck.

She might not know where the nest boxx is if she's a new layer s0 put something like fakee egggs in it so she'll laye in their next time
tongue.png
and if theyy eat eaggs they might do it with there own eggs after they're layed so make ssure they don't
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom