Why did my hens stop laying?

I'm in a similar situation. I have 6 hens and was averaging 4 eggs per day. Then it started raining a lot and the average temp dropped a good 15 degrees. We're getting shorter on daylight too. Now they only lay 2 a day Max and a couple girls have gone a whole week with no eggs. It's seems like the same two are consistently laying. Any ideas what is happening?

Are some breeds better at laying in the fall/winter? I have multiple types of chickens.

I found all the eggs. The girls don't like the nest boxes and prefer a spot behind some stuff. Found 30.

My two Easter Eggers stopped laying about a week ago. The other four hens (different breeds) are still laying so I'm not sure what the problem is. If it were worms, I would think all would have them.

Yeah my Easter Egger and Barnevelder just stopped laying altogether about two weeks ago. Also I had a pullet (Light Brahma) that had just started to lay that doesn't seem to be laying anymore either and another pullet never started laying from what I can tell.

I don't get it why would 3 hens just stop laying and 2 keep on dropping eggs consistently everyday??

Phil, run a hot wire around your coop to zap predators away. you can do this for under $100. That's how I keep the Dobies out of the coop, but once in while, a hen will find a weak spot in the netting, get out from the hot wire and POOF! Suicide by Doberman.
The dogs love FRESH really fresh chicken.
ep.gif

It was my fault, I got home at 11:30 that night and I'm usually home by 7 to lock the birds up. My invisible fence keeps the dogs from the coop.

Should I be concerned about this? I bought a hen who was supposedly laying about two weeks ago and she hasn't layed a single egg. Now I actually don't care about egg production. My hens are my pets. But I am concerned about her. At first I thought it may have been the stress of a new place, but now she has settled in nicely here and seems happy and content. Still no eggs. No weird behavior, either, that I can see. They get layer, cracked corn, oyster shell, grit, etc., so I am providing calcium.

Back
Top Bottom