Why did my rooster suddenly square off with me?

HenneryTheEighth

Songster
May 28, 2020
I slog out into the chicken pen today. I am not feeling well at all, but needs must. After feeding the ladies and talking to them for a bit, my rooster decides that today is the day to square off with me. He gets several boots to the chest, then he runs off. He is a very mild guy - why today? Is it possible that he knows I am sick?

He is ten months old. I thought all of his hormones were leveling off at this point. He has twenty ladies - more than enough to keep him busy.
Darn body language.

Just don't back down from him, no matter . He may be the boss of his hens, but he needs to know you are the head chicken in charge of your flock. Try to work with him, by respecting his position as head of the flock, without relinquishing you position as head chicken in charge.
When I had a rooster and would free range the flock in the front yard, my rooster decided when it was time for the girls to go back in. I would help round up stragglers, but he made the decision that it was time to go in. He would also make sure all the girls that weren't broody, went out to free range, whether they wanted to or not. He also broke up hen fights and I stayed out of his way. It worked very well. I miss my rooster, but I was lucky to have him for about 4 years, as I wasn't supposed to have him at all. Good luck with your guy, I hope it all works out for you both. :hugs

I try to respect his “rooster-ness” by putting food not only in the feeding dishes, but a pile for him to tidbit as well.
He takes good care of the girls, warns about predators, etc. When I hear HIM doing the egg song, there is something up in the yard that needs attention from me: water needs refilling, one of the hens has escaped, etc.
He saw me today and there was no aggression. He is sorted for the moment. :)

Glad things are looking better. It's amazing how much roosters pay attention to your body language. I've always been very confident walking into my coop, had a family member walk in and the boys were NOT happy about it :gig

When I hear HIM doing the egg song, there is something up in the yard that needs attention from me: water needs refilling, one of the hens has escaped, etc.
First time I heard my cockbird singing the egg song I raced down there thinking something was killing all my new birds.
It was just him standing on the roost celebrating with the girls. :gig

I can now tell the difference between egg call and alarm call.

He saw me today and there was no aggression. He is sorted for the moment. :)
I think you just both had a bad day.
Hope you are feeling better.

Back
Top Bottom