Why did she lay a very small egg today?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ucso849, Sep 19, 2013.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

That egg got laid before the shell formation process got completed. This is often caused by stress, for example when the hen gets a big fright or gets disturbed. I got one of those from my hens once, but mine was a water balloon, no shell. She laid it right in front of me too. She was fine afterwards and continued laying normal eggs, but I can tell you, she had me worried there for awhile!

There's more info on odd eggs, including tiny "fart" eggs like the ones pictured above and their causes here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

2. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    I had a brown leghorn do this once. She laid a double yolker one day and then the next day laid a egg with no yolk at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are pics of three eggs from her. double yolker on the left, no yolker in the middle and a normal egg on the right.

3. 3acres

3acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    Missouri
    I got these 4 little eggs (just 1 a day) in a 5 or 6 day stretch a few months ago, then haven't had another since. They may look bigger in this pic than they are. Even the biggest little one in the lower left corner is still WAY smaller than a pullets first egg.

My new pullets weren't with the 6 older hens yet, so they came out of an older hen that had been laying at least 18 months. These small eggs were always right next to the same colored big egg everyday....not the same colored as they were, but the small colored as in the same hen's normal egg.

I've kept them in the fridge and still have them for some reason....[​IMG].

[​IMG]

4. JimArcher

JimArcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Hens that are quitting lay often pop out a very small egg at the end. It could mean she is quitting for a long time (will moult) or she is just at the end of a clutch. Not unusual. I have seen these often.

1 person likes this.
  5. Homestead girl

Homestead girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    Jasper Georgia
    I have 20 pullets and when they lay the first egg it is small has a yolk , it is just miniature. Then the next one is bigger and then normal size. I know when another pullet has started laying by the small egg in the nesting box.

6. twincreekfarm

twincreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Vandalia, OH
    I have a hen who daily lays an egg that's really small with no yolk, does this mean she's infertile?

7. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    How old is she?

8. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina

9. The Mother Hen

The Mother Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    This is normal. Sometimes a hen will lay small eggs if she isn't getting enough calcium. Don't worry about it, but to be safe throw the egg away.

10. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    My english game bird/japanese bantam hen mix laid one of those before! creeped me out cuz mine had a yolk too and it was half the size of a green grape!
    [​IMG]
    Heres the pretty lady herself

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by