Why did the chicken cross the road?

banditgin

Songster
12 Years
Jul 16, 2007
Boonsboro, MD
to get to our house of course.

I get home from work and see our chickens in our front yard so I count them. There are 4 there, like there should be. I go to park and notice a dog up the road and think, gee that dog looks a lot like Sophie. poop it is Sophie. I get out of the car and go after her. I call out twice when she turns and sees me and comes running to me. As I bring her back to the house, DH runs out and says, oh good you got sophie. Bogie's still out and there's a roo in our house - and its not one of ours.

He puts Sophie in the garage and grabs a cat carrier to get the chicken while I go look for Bogie. Luckily I see him across the street in our neighbors horse pasture. I shoot across the street, across our creek bridge and jump their fence. Our neighbor managed to chase Bogie to a place where he couldn't escape. I reach there, two calls later, he comes running to me.

Dh was able to catch the chicken which belongs to the people who Bogie decided to visit.

All I can say is that I have good dogs. they both came running to me when I called. All that training that I do came in handy. I've never actually brought them to obedience school and just did stuff a dog trainer that I worked with for Midwest Akita Rescue taught me. Sophie was about to turn into our next door neighbors yard. with where we live, this could have turned out really bad. I'm still amazed that I didn't have to really chase either of the dogs - I did hurry across the street cause Bogie isn't the nicest to strangers and was worried about what he would do.

Oh, what we think happened is that while DH was making dinner (chicken), K looked out and saw the new chicken and opened the door but didn't close it. She's never done that before.

Oh my! So glad it turned out good! I know where I live, if my dogs get out,and go visit the nabor, he will shoot to kill. When we first bought our little farm, that neighbor came over after about a week....said...." Oh, you have dogs"? Well, if they come on my property, I will shoot to kill, and throw them on the pile of dead ones behind my property." OK, first of all...I have 3 poms, and a doberman, and second...they NEVER go outside the gate. Nice way to meet the neighbor hu? So glad your dogs came to ya!

I would have replied "thats nice to know we had to move here because our neighbors house caught fire after our last dog came up missing, and the Fire Marshal thought the fire starting looked suspicious"

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
Good one!!

Oh, the K refers to my 4 year old - she opened the door to play with the visiting chicken but didn't close it. In fact my husband didn't even know the dogs were out/door open til she or her sister came into the kitchen to say the chicken is making a mess!!

This is the first time our dogs got out at this house. When we lived in IL, Sophie would jump our fence occassionally. the people behind us called the cops on her (though we had the dog home before they showed up).

Back
Top Bottom