why did you start keeping chickens

I started because we bought this old "used to be a farm" (~25 acres, 18 are woods) with century plus old barns and it seemed to me one should have SOME kind of farm animals even if it isn't currently a working farm. Since my daughter is what I call an "emotional vegetarian" (doesn't want animals eaten as opposed to thinking it was a healthier diet), we can't have any animals that would be eaten. Fiber animals and feathered egg factories are about the only option. Started with the chickens because the barns aren't in great shape, chicks are cheap to buy, don't require much work and there are no vet bills.

We'll see how it works out, just got them as 2 day olds in June.

Bruce

My first word was "duck" because my parents would always take me to the duck pond in town to feed the birds. So for 28 years after that I dreamt of a house with a yard full of birds. My wife and I were read to buy a house and of course I had to have a country home where I could have livestock. We found a house but we couldn't move in for two months! I was sick of waiting for ducks, 2 months was just too long
smile.png
! I went down to the feed store and bought 6 little ducklings. I had no idea how fast they grew so I brooded them for 2 months in our apartment until our closing day! The landlords were non the wiser and I took the first week off work to build them a nice run and fence. Those six ducks turn 2 this year and I have done nothing but expand. I got a free shed from my father in law and got my first chickens (a retired trio of OEG bantams). I will NEVER not have ducks and chickens, they are my favorite hobby and I could just watch their antics all day.

Ayear ago my brother who lived in the country was selling everything and moving out of state he had chickens and was selling them. Why I thought I needed these chickens I don't know but I ended up buying 15 chickens did'nt have a clue as to what I got. Ended up wiith 8 roosters and 7 hens. I live in the city so I sold 7 of the roosters I kept this one because he was blind in one eye and I did'nt figure anyone would take him. Thats how I got started that was last year in June. Now I have 23 kids. 19 hens and 4 roosters and I love everyone of them I have named them all their all my Babies. I have learned alot over the last year and would'nt change any of it. Well thats my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

My friend gave me two laying hens and a bag of feed when he found out I didn't have money to buy groceries after my husband passed away. There where days I would have gone without eating if it hadn't been for my girls. As everyone knows, chickens are worst than rabbits, once you have one, you just keep on adding. I'm currently raising Seramas and Silkies.

#1. EGGS. Love eggs and we eat a lot of them. I've always been intrigued by chickens but was a bit afraid of them. Would "rush" them as a child and, of course, got pecked a few times. Then and now, I love the feeling of picking up a warm egg and bringing it to the house.

#2. POOP. We do a good bit of vegetable gardening. Years ago I lived next door to a family that had chickens. Our gardens backed up to each other. Well, our garden was an embarrassment compared to theirs! Their corn was taller, tomato's bigger, kale greener. Larger plants and larger yields. Yep, it was the chicken poo they were composting that did it.

I will admit that the rewards have been greater than my original desire of eggs and poop. I've been outside more this summer than the last 5 summers combined doing stuff with the girls. I've also been more physically active in doing what needed to be done for them. One day - after cleaning the coop - I sat down in a lawn chair next to the run and actually fell asleep. It was great!

Greatest reward = Observing and learning about these unique creatures that I used to take for granted. They're so very entertaining and are far smarter than people give them credit for.

When I was a mere lad 'way back when' I'd spend weekends, summers and holidays at my grandparents farm. They always raised chickens as long as I can remember so I grew up around them. I always enjoyed playing with the chickens on my visits. Last year we were able to purchase my grandparents old farm. That is where we live now. It brought back so many memories of my childhood days and I still miss my grandparents dearly. After the first year of living here we decided something was still missing my grandparents would love to have seen again, Chickens!

So, that's the reason we have chickens and we're so glad we made that choice. My grandparents would be so proud.
smile.png

I will admit that the rewards have been greater than my original desire of eggs and poop. I've been outside more this summer than the last 5 summers combined doing stuff with the girls. I've also been more physically active in doing what needed to be done for them. One day - after cleaning the coop - I sat down in a lawn chair next to the run and actually fell asleep. It was great! \
I've done this as well with a turkey on my lap :lol:

We started keeping chickens in 2012 for the eggs. After building a coop & run, buying a chicken feeder & waterer & heat lamp and feed AND baby chicks, I realize now that our first egg is worth about $1,000! (LOL) But what we weren't prepared for is how much we love the little ladies. They're so much fun to watch and hold. I'm allergic to practically every walking thing on earth, but surprisingly am NOT allergic to chickens, woohoo! We don't ever want to eat them once they're done laying. We lost our first chicken to a fox last week and were devastated, it is a bit like losing a pet. At 23 weeks we just got our first egg from a Barred Rock.
smile.png

I love chickens.I just wanted them to raise and watch.They are very entertaining.On the other hand my husband and brother in law bought them in case of the economy crashing or one of the many disasters that may come about!I love my chickens.We have 64 of them.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom