why did you start keeping chickens

I hate all birds. I went to TSC to get fencing for the garden. It was Chick Days. God made babies cute for a reason. The beginning (sure isn't the end!).
??? You hate all birds? Well, most baby birds are down right ugly aren't they? Anybody who hand raises parrots will agree.

Yep, those chicks are cute, aren't they?

I have no idea! I liked the idea of saving some really, and giving the retired ones a good home... but then I heard about diseased ones from battery homes. So I bought two chicks instead. 18 chickens later.... here I am!

It doesnt take long to get addicted. When I started with my 14 chickens and 3 turkey I thought that was a perfect number,,,,,, Then I decided it was far to few.. And still at 36 birds I am picking out more already..

We have 10 acres about 10 miles from Springfield, MO. We talked about chickens for years, and spent time at the hatchery booth at FarmFest every year, but just never got a "rountuit". My excuse every Spring was that I didn't have a coop built, but maybe next year. I even went so far as to buy a book, to get ready for next year, and then also stumbled upon BYC. That's when I discovered that you don't need a coop for 6 weeks. Nothing motivates me like a deadline, so I went to our local feed store on chick day and bought 5 and started the coop the next week. We did it for several reasons, all selfish. I wanted fewer bugs in my garden, better fertilizer for my garden, and "free", fresh, wholesome eggs from chickens that enjoyed their lives. Now I've discovered that ChickenTV is just about the most entertaining thing you can watch (short of football and playoff season baseball), so we got a bonus.

Fell in love with baby chicks at the feed store--and when they grew up the hens won us over with their loving and quirky personalities! Now we're hooked and raise for pets only--eggs are just secondary!

Our plan is to move out of the city and into the country when the last of our 6 kids graduate from highschool (3 more years). At that time, my father-in-law and I wanted to start raising chickens. Well, we just couldn't wait. He brought me three 5 day old leghorns in May. I have been harboring my illegal ladies ever since. They are now all producing eggs. I never thought I would be talking to chickens, but I am. They all have unique personalities and are always happy for some additional human company. In three more years, I hope to grow my flock, when we make the move to the country. I'm glad we didn't wait. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but everyone enjoys the eggs.

My husband developed IBS (Irrirtable Bowel Syndrome) two years ago. We've been doing more gardening to keep his food as close to nature as possible. Raising chickens for the eggs was the next step for us! We really love the birds! My husband is also allergic to all of the standard type pets, so we are also thrilled to have "real" pets (rather than just a goldfish in a bowl). They are very sweet animals and add a lot to our lives.

Fireants! I honestly got the chickens to help me with bug control. Don't know if it will actually help but we fell in love with their great personalities so now they are just members of our family. Gertrude's first pseudo-name was actually anteater (my four year old named her) because she loves to eat the fireants. I had no idea they were such great pets and the eggs don't hurt either! love that we can have organic items from the garden even though we live in the city.

Back
Top Bottom