Why didn't fox attack?

Jenn1018

Songster
Apr 15, 2019
Snellville, Georgia
Yesterday morning around 10 AM my girls were making noise that I ignored for at least 5 minutes. When it didn't stop I went down to check and found a fox on the outside of my 5 ft chain link fence. I'm wondering why it didn't attack, as it had the time. It seemed to be just standing there watching and didn't run off until I yelled at it. Do they usually "case" a place first? I have 2 dogs who weren't outside at the time. Do they check things out and then make a calculated move later or the next day? Do they spend time getting a lay of the land? Maybe it just happened to be passing by and I don't have to worry about it? I have my girls locked up and am feeling really bad about it. I want to let them out, but not sure when it would be safe to do so. Thanks in advance for any input!

it was evaluating the risks, foxes are cautious. I've been keeping chickens for a year now and I caught foxes watching them twice.
they have never tried to catch the chickens (yet), but I know that day will come. I don't let the chickens outside alone, the dog protects them and I stay outside as much as I can (I work from home on my computer, so I can work from the yard).
I see a lot of foxes with the trail camera, but they usually sneak around in the night. when I see them by day I open the gate to let the dog out and she chases them for quite a while.
a 5ft fence can't protect your chickens, do they have a predator proof run?
DSC_8240.JPG

it was evaluating the risks, foxes are cautious. I've been keeping chickens for a year now and I caught foxes watching them twice.
they have never tried to catch the chickens (yet), but I know that day will come. I don't let the chickens outside alone, the dog protects them and I stay outside as much as I can (I work from home on my computer, so I can work from the yard).
I see a lot of foxes with the trail camera, but they usually sneak around in the night. when I see them by day I open the gate to let the dog out and she chases them for quite a while.
a 5ft fence can't protect your chickens, do they have a predator proof run?
View attachment 2669314
No they don't. I intend to enhance it soon. Until then I will leave them in the coop or supervise free range. I didn't realize they would stalk first. I work at home too and have a full view of the backyard, but I'm afraid the fox could get in faster than I could get out. My two dogs (pit bull and shepherd) come in and out throughout the day, but not sure that would be enough to deter it?

Yes definitely casing the situation.
It now knows where to find a meal, & a 5ft fence is no challenge for a fox to scale. (Or dig under). Even if it Was just passing by, it will likely check back/hang around now that it has discovered your girls.

Do you trust your dogs around your chickens? If so, they will be your best asset to protect your hens, & should always be nearby when your hens are out of their pen.

If you let your hens out unguarded, & they begin to disappear without a trace except for maybe a few feathers left behind, you will know the fox you saw is your likely culprit. Im surprised you even saw it. Fox are stealthy and sneaky. There is good reason for the term "sly as a fox."

Back
Top Bottom