"Buff Orpingtons" ...or not. Mystery Chicks

Flickster5

Chirping
Apr 12, 2018
Blossom, Texas
Hi all! New here but have been having a blast the last few weeks reading threads here. Seriously addicting!

Anyway, I picked up some chicks from Atwoods recently. Supposedly they're straight run buff orpingtons, but now that we're a few weeks in I'm kinda wondering about that. I've got one whose coloring seems right(ish), but the other two have very dark wings I don't associate with adult BO at the very least.

Having said that, it's been years since I raised chicks and I had neither BO nor silver laced Wyandotte, of which I have 5 (supposed) pullets with my BO chicks. So, I thought I'd put some pics up and see if y'all had any ideas.

On a similar vein, any guesses on roos for my paler-colored friends? When I first got them there was one notably smaller than the other two, but that has evened out the last week or two. Still, they've got at least 3-4 days on my wyandottes and the smallest Wyandotte is still a bit bigger than any of them. And the smallest wyandotte is roughly half the size of the largest one. Which has me wondering if it's an indicator I have 3 roos, plus a possible mis-sexed wyandotte roo... or if it's just Wyandottes growing faster initially, plus natural variation.

(My apologies in advance for the number of pics and the illogical order Can't help myself, they're all adorable, and connection out here to load pics is less than ideal so it took several tries)
0410181855.jpg
0412181912.jpg
0412182015.jpg
0412181913.jpg
0412181912b.jpg
0410181854a.jpg
0410181854.jpg
0412182205f.jpg
0412182205d.jpg

0412181912a.jpg
IMG_20180323_200214.jpg
IMG_20180329_213258.jpg

Last edited:
I wondered that too, but with one so different from the other two and all three 'labeled' as BO, it seemed logical to me for the oddball out with lighter feathering to be at least a possibility. Shrug. I'm open to speculation for the three in any case.

They're cute but idk what they are.

The two darker ones have any lighter feathers? They remind me of photos I've seen of red sexlink cockeralsbut really I'm clueless...

I'll be keeping am eye on the threatto see if someone can educate me too. lol and I'm usually not pretty good with breeds

Not tha
The two darker ones have any lighter feathers? They remind me of photos I've seen of red sexlink cockeralsbut really I'm clueless...

No lighter feathers that I can see. One of them in particular has a fair number of feathers which are white or more ashy at the tips and darker higher up from what I can tell, but no actually light colored beginning to end.

Really hope I don't have three roos. Two I can handle easily enough but three of eight? I've got land enough for more pbullets to balance flock if needed but I'm still working on their coop and pen, I'd rather not need to nearly double it or rehome them if it can't be helped it can't be helped though

Lol no, it's more my own paranoia than anything. Would be just my luck. Originally they were all a bit more aggressive than the Wyandottes were which was what made me wonder about gender. Then feathers started coming in and I thought...darker feathers, more aggressive with each other/skittish with me? They're very young yet but none of that matched with pros from what I had read. They've calmed a bit since then but despite maturing slower than the Wyandottes, the two dark ones are still the most likely for me to see flying up and over each other in mock fights. And the noisiest little critters in general, not that that means too much

Definitely NOT buff orps. I would send the hatchery or ??? store ,photos and ask them What they really are. How they can be wrong on so many, is beyond me. Pretty chicks though

Back
Top Bottom