Why do chickens scrape all the straw out of their coop?

Yep chicken's scratch around naturaly.I Have cleaned my one coop twice in 2 week's.I have only been using shavings though pretty much since warm weather.They free range day and they still manage to have a Big pile of shavings in walk area inside coop and piles in corner.My ducks on the other hand have appreciated the little piles of hay I put in horse stall for them in the corner's since my 4 Pekin hens are all laying.Basicaly I just try to keep fresh comfy bedding In boxes where hen's generaly lay.I Keep a good layer of hay etc. In holding pens for some winter like silkie's and frizzles which roost close to or on floor.

I use pine shavings and have barriers at the bottom of doorways as others described. The pine shavings are 6" or 8" thick (I don't change them much.) They leave the shavings in the coop but make huge deep holes right through the shavings and into the dirt floor.

I think they are mostly scratching for something to eat, the way they do as they wander outside. Of course they are also making nests and dust bathing holes, though mine have been laying in the nest boxes exclusively for the last couple of months.

I have found some what of a solution... since they don't spend much time in that part of the coop (only when they're waiting to be let out) I put a minimal amount of straw in there. Just enough so that their poo doesn't absorb into the wood
sickbyc.gif
It seems to be working well! Thanks for all the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom