Why do goats paw at things?

Crest Acres Girl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern California
I have a 3 week old goat and she loves to jump around and then paws at things, she paws at me and she paws at the ground or the blankets. sometimes she paws at her bedding before she lays down. Why do goats do what they do?
lol.png

Dr Harry, a famous tv vet once asked a handicapped girl and her mother, to point to their dogs hands. The mother pointed to the dogs front feet. The handicapped girl pointed to the dogs mouth. The mother scolded the girl and said dont be silly. Dr Harry said, hang on, she's right. Dogs dont have hands so they use their mouth to feel, touch and explore things.

Well, if dogs have their hands in their mouth, then goats have their hands in their mouths AND front feet. They nibble on things and they also paw at things. It is just their way of exploring the world and figuring things out. And goats are intensely curious about everything.

And then also they like to dig before they sit down, to make sure the ground or their bedding is 'just right'. Bit of a goldilocks thing.

My LaManchas definately use their hooves as a "GIVE ME NOW!" communication. Their favorite is to jump on the feed bin and paw it at dinner time. They know they only get a handful of grain (being wethers) but they always dream that the lid will open and they will fall in.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom