Why do guineas….

My boys started doing that when the flock reformed after breeding season was over in September. The lower ranking cock will do that as a submission gesture to a higher ranking male. They also have this squeaky, sighing call that goes with it. My submissive females who are getting challenged will instead either hunker down and be pecked or run a more respectful distance from the dominant bird.
Wait...isn't this the scenario where Bella was telling Blu she was "interested"?

Wait...isn't this the scenario where Bella was telling Blu she was "interested"?
In the fall, in my FB guinea group, there were a flurry of posts asking why the males were suddenly acting like they wanted to be bred by another male… I think the behavior is a little different though. My girls run past the male in a straight line then squat for mating. The subordinate boys crouch and move in more of a circular pattern around the dominant male while vocalizing.🤷‍♀️

In the fall, in my FB guinea group, there were a flurry of posts asking why the males were suddenly acting like they wanted to be bred by another male… I think the behavior is a little different though. My girls run past the male in a straight line then squat for mating. The subordinate boys crouch and move in more of a circular pattern around the dominant male while vocalizing.🤷‍♀️
Lol..I had to go back and see how this conversation started again bc I was still having vision of my sweet boy peacefully sunbathing when powee! Right under his chin.😂 and then HIS reaction.:eek:
But - I do see the pullets doing this to Rosie- sans any noise. With these three it seems to be when Rosie has disciplined them for over stepping- ie running ahead of her or trying to horn in on her "space" - in someway disrespecting her status. So I hadn't decided if the move was submissive or a teenager's poor attempt at challenging that authority.

My boys started doing that when the flock reformed after breeding season was over in September. The lower ranking cock will do that as a submission gesture to a higher ranking male. They also have this squeaky, sighing call that goes with it. My submissive females who are getting challenged will instead either hunker down and be pecked or run a more respectful distance from the dominant bird.
Yes!! The squeaky noise!!! I have typically seen the hens do it to the males… like a really really fast run with wings up and then a low low ground run and then right under the breast of another bird. It’s so funny to watch

I can't find thread, but remember @R2elk and I discussing fall behavior once..@r2elk even used the word "pirouette" to describe the dance they seemed to be doing. Best we could come up with at the time was that they wrre enjoying cooler temps.
I remember that. I have only ever seen one guinea do it that one time but they sure were lively that day. The one time I saw it, it was a male and he did a full pirouette as he jumped straight up 3' in the air.

I remember that. I have only ever seen one guinea do it that one time but they sure were lively that day. The one time I saw it, it was a male and he did a full pirouette as he jumped straight up 3' in the air.
All day today today the ladies have been taking running dives into the leaves, wings spread low, crouched w/head down, & then cackling. I think they've discovered fun. :wee

Back
Top Bottom