Why do hens lay eggs without roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by City Gardener, Jun 23, 2009.

1. City Gardener

City Gardener Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    I'm writing an article for my food coop's newsletter about keeping chickens in a city backyard.

The editor asked me how chickens can lay eggs without a rooster around. She wants a real scientific explanation.

Anybody know?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

The same reason a woman can ovulate without a man....and do it very well, I might add! [​IMG]

If you ever opened up a hen, you would see her eggs in different stages of development, just like a woman's but much larger. Since her ovulation cycle is not the same as a human, she releases eggs each day instead of monthly.

3. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Ask her if she ovulates each month with or without a man in her life....principle remains the same all thats different is the frequency and size of the egg involved

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cats and dogs go into heat without the male around too. 'Course they're not in heat long before the male shows up, but still.....

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    For the same reason nuns have periods. In most species ovulation has nothing to do with having a male around.

6. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    [​IMG]

funny post!!!

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When this explanation gets published in the newsletter, can you post a copy? Should be interesting reading.

8. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Do all birds lay eggs like this?

9. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    All birds can lay eggs with out a man around. The bodies job is to reproduce, even if there is no rooster around, the body still does what it knows it's supposed to do, make the egg.

If you think about it people lay eggs with out being fertile. We women bleed every month to release the egg that was not fertile. But since we are mammals and not birds we do it a little differently. And our eggs are very very tiny. I know it's gross to think about.

10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Parrots do not usually lay eggs unless they are mating. I don't know why but I had some parrots that would not lay even with a mate. Parrots are one of the few animals that must make an emotional bond before mating and maybe this is necessary for ovulation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by