Why Do Hens Run Before Mating?

mastercaster

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2020
So guys to give an insight about myself, I am a 19 years old kid and I have 3 chickens (1 rooster and 2 hens). I would like my hens to lay eggs to gain another chicken so that I can make it a full-time business.

My problem is my hens always run when my rooster is chasing them for mating. I have found an article about the reason why do hens run before mating but they did not give any advice how to stop it. Do you know how can I stop my hens from running beofre mating? Any tips will do Merry Christmas!

No, don't retain them together, odds are the male is too rough or breedibg them too offer for liking. Hens should either just squat when willing or actively seek the rooster out to mate
So I just have to leave them and do it naturally? Do you think the hens will change their mind sooner? or do I have to buy another rooster?

One rooster and two hens ... you need more hens, I'm thinking. I agree with the other posters. Your problem is you don't have enough hens. The rooster is hurting them by breeding them too much. You need about ten hens per rooster. If the hens are happy, they won't run from him. They are telling you he is hurting them.

One rooster and two hens ... you need more hens, I'm thinking. I agree with the other posters. Your problem is you don't have enough hens. The rooster is hurting them by breeding them too much. You need about ten hens per rooster. If the hens are happy, they won't run from him. They are telling you he is hurting them.
So I should buy more hens?
Curious, what kind of full-time business do you have in mind that you can do with 4 hens and a roo?
I want to make a poultry business since I am young (19 years old) I have got nothing to lose.

Back
Top Bottom