why do i keep getting chicks w/ bad legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nicoletm24, Oct 29, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    I've hatched out 4 batches so far, and at LEAST 1 always has a deformed leg, or HORRIBLE spraddle leg which i try and fix but they just won't. now, with this last hatch, i've had 2 w/ horrible legs. and i think I have to cull them both. i've tried fixing in all the ways I know how.

but what makes this happen?

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    What kind(s) of eggs (purchased hatching eggs or from your own birds)? incubator info (or broody?), do they hatch with this or are you helping them hatch? Does it show up AT hatch, or a few days or weeks later? What do you feed the breeding stock if these are hatching eggs from your flock? Spraddle leg can be due to faulty incubation parameters, injury at hatch, slippery bedding/lack of traction, poor breeder nutrition- LOTS of things can cause it. You need to methodically look at the possibilities. Start with healthy & fresh eggs from healthy breeding flock given excellent nutrition. Check all of your incubator parameters & monitor/control closely. Provide new chicks good traction & good nutrition. Try not to 'help' anyone hatch, as if they can't hatch on their own- especially if you hatch eggs from your own flock, as you may be unwittingly selecting for unfit birds.

3. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Here is a link that might help... I'm no expert but this link has some great advice.

It is not for chickens specifically, but chickens are birds..

http://www.2ndchance.info/spraddle.htm

Hope this helps you out some.

Christal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by