Why do I keep getting poultry lice?!?

AmeraucanaHank

Blessed be the Name of God
Sep 12, 2021
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,
So I have a very bad problem I keep getting poultry lice every single summer!šŸ˜Ÿ I think maybe some of it is due to the coop they have been in it is very hard to clean: dirt floors, nukes and crannies, ect. I already have the powder that kills the lice but, how do I keep them from getting it?!? Do you also think it's the coop? Thanks for your time!

Pictures of the coop would help. Consider also the surroundings - do you have conditions around the coop that would make it an attractive nuisance to other carriers of mites, assuming you can successfully eliminate them from your bird's home? i.e. Wild Bird feeders, a field full of seed bearing plants (sunflowers!!! argh!) that attract wild bird populations, etc

Let's see the set up, then we can answer with more than mere supposition.

/edit I'd offer tips based on what I do, except I've been extremely fortunate. and counting on Lady Luck isn't a strategy - though my coops have limited places for them to hide, and some materials they don't find useful. Hardiboard doesn't have cracks for them to sleep in when they aren't harassing your chickens.

Last edited:
Pictures of the coop would help. Consider also the surroundings - do you have conditions around the coop that would make it an attractive nuisance to other carriers of mites, assuming you can successfully eliminate them from your bird's home? (Wild Bird feeders, a field full of seed bearing plants (sunflowers!!! argh! that attract wild bird populations, etc)

Let's see the set up, then we can answer with more than mere supposition.
I will try to get some pics today, but it can't be guaranteed. And also I have one cockerel who always sleeps on the floor, due to having a leg problem, could that be a reason why they are getting it?

Hi,
So I have a very bad problem I keep getting poultry lice every single summer!šŸ˜Ÿ I think maybe some of it is due to the coop they have been in it is very hard to clean: dirt floors, nukes and crannies, ect. I already have the powder that kills the lice but, how do I keep them from getting it?!? Do you also think it's the coop s know a
Take your time on pictures, BYC will be here for you.
I hear wood ash provided for chickens to'dip' in is a natural way to control lice. A lady I know of swore by it. If u try it, can you let us know if it works please?

Lice live on the chicken. It is very rare to find a coop with a lice infestation.
Trying to treat the coop may not be your best option.
What I've found in the past is that lice can often be a sign of a chicken being unwell in some way.
Healthy chickens able to keep clean rarely get lice.
Mites are different. Some mites will live in the coop. The so called red mite for example which is actually translucent grey until it feeds.
Do your chickens range on natural ground?
Lice eat the dead skin and feather particles. One of the requirements is the dead stuff (dander) hasn't been cleaned off and is stuck to the chicken in the oil the chicken secretes to maintain skin and feather condition.
Do your chickens have access to good dust bathing?

The wild birds are bringing them every year. Ash isn't going to do the trick.

Options are pretty much find a way to completely exclude the wild birds or, my go-to (I am having this problem as well) is liberal use of Poultry Dust (permethrin). I use it in the bedding, the nests, and everywhere they like to dust bathe. Also on the birds themselves. I would probably dust their butts weekly if I couldn't keep the wild birds out.

Back
Top Bottom