Why do I keep getting poultry lice?!?

AmeraucanaHank

Blessed be the Name of God
Sep 12, 2021
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,
So I have a very bad problem I keep getting poultry lice every single summer!šŸ˜Ÿ I think maybe some of it is due to the coop they have been in it is very hard to clean: dirt floors, nukes and crannies, ect. I already have the powder that kills the lice but, how do I keep them from getting it?!? Do you also think it's the coop? Thanks for your time!

I already have the powder that kills the lice but, how do I keep them from getting it?!?
What powder, and how, have you used in the past?

They need to have permethrin, either spray or powder, put on their skin under feathers around vent, neck, belly and under wings.
treatment should be repeated every 5-7 days for 3 rounds.

Lice live on the chicken. It is very rare to find a coop with a lice infestation.
Trying to treat the coop may not be your best option.
What I've found in the past is that lice can often be a sign of a chicken being unwell in some way.
Healthy chickens able to keep clean rarely get lice.
Mites are different. Some mites will live in the coop. The so called red mite for example which is actually translucent grey until it feeds.
Do your chickens range on natural ground?
Lice eat the dead skin and feather particles. One of the requirements is the dead stuff (dander) hasn't been cleaned off and is stuck to the chicken in the oil the chicken secretes to maintain skin and feather condition.
Do your chickens have access to good dust bathing?

The wild birds are bringing them every year. Ash isn't going to do the trick.

Options are pretty much find a way to completely exclude the wild birds or, my go-to (I am having this problem as well) is liberal use of Poultry Dust (permethrin). I use it in the bedding, the nests, and everywhere they like to dust bathe. Also on the birds themselves. I would probably dust their butts weekly if I couldn't keep the wild birds out.

Wild songbirds bring the lice and mites to your birds, either outside, or if those wrens or sparrows get into your coop. This year, having our flock locked inside, has meant no mites, the only positive as far as I'm concerned.
Lice are easier to eliminate, as they can't live off the birds very long. Permethrin spray or dust works well, weekly for maybe three treatments. Then check your birds weekly, or so, because reinfestations do occur!
Mary

I have permethrin powder, last year I only had to dose the once!
You only dosed one time last year?
If you actually have lice on your birds, you're going to have lice eggs which hatch every 5-7 days. You have to treat at least three times, once per week,, to break the cycle completely to kill the lice once eggs hatch.

You only dosed one time last year?
If you actually have lice on your birds, you're going to have lice eggs which hatch every 5-7 days. You have to treat at least three times, once per week,, to break the cycle completely to kill the lice once eggs hatch.
I know that's what I thought too but I kept checking and there was nothing on them no eggs, nothing after the first dose, the only reason I can think of for doing one dose is I caught them when they just got it.

Was it liquid permethrin?
Yes. It's a concentrate so it has specific directions on the back for how much you need to add to water. I bought this at rural King but tractor supply sells it, as I'm sure other feed stores do.
20220610_090909.jpg

Back
Top Bottom