Why do I need a coop door?

Beside the long list of animal enemies there's always the slight chance that an idiot human might trespass and walk past your run. Especially in urban yards. All idiot humans need is to see one of your chickens roosting outside in the run. They're capable of a lot more damage than anything smaller than a bear.
On the other hand, if the chickens are all sleeping unseen inside the coop behind a tightly shut door, the likelihood of any devilment is a lot less, and you can relax with the notion that you've done everything you can.

OK, OK...
I am on a limited budget but today I bought enough 24" 1/2" hardware cloth to go around the bottom of the coop/run wall. 2 friends had a raccoon reach through the fencing into their run and kill their chickens. Will 24"s up the outer wall help stop predator from getting in? Can they defeat chicken wire while climbing it? I am going to have to re-enforce the coop piece by piece.

I plan on adding a coop door soon. Does anyone have dummy proof coop door plans? My opening for the door is 14"H x 12"W.

Quote:
Just posted that very line on another thread before reading this one, actually.

Shutting your chickens into the coop at night is just a really, really good idea, and may save sadness and disappointment later. I'm glad you're adding the door.
smile.png

Here is our pophole door (this was taken before we finished the inside of the barn):

38304_783647217755_22426087_44606640_415071_n.jpg

38304_783647222745_22426087_44606641_8181623_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom