Why do my barred rocks look so different?

mosomers

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
I got two barred rock chicks at the end of April, do they're about 12 weeks old or more. One has a great comb and wattles and the other has nearly nothing. Is this just a genetic difference or did I somehow get 2 different breeds or is one a cockerel?

Last edited:
Noooooooooo!!! I bought pullets from the feed store because I wanted PULLETS! And because I'm not allowed to have roosters here.
1f621.png
1f601.png
Ugh. Anyone in Utah county want to trade a 12 week old rooster for a 12 week old pullet?
1f609.png

it stinks huh? my first go around with chickens, from a store...9 roos!!! 5 Barred Rocks and 4 Australorps....!! Sexing isn't 100%, sorry....hopefully you can rehome him...good luck! Chicken stew?

Yeah, I think we'll eat him once he starts crowing. But I want to replace him with a her and I don't want to buy a chick and wait another 4-6 months for her eggs. Chicken shopping shall commence!

Well I hate to tell you this, but not only is that barred Rock a cockerel, your Easter egger is, also. Probably sold as an Ameraucana, the bird with the white on it in front of the second pic. You can post a better pic of the bird and it's comb, to be on the safe side, but that coloring is male.

Well I hate to tell you this, but not only is that barred Rock a cockerel, your Easter egger is, also. Probably sold as an Ameraucana, the bird with the white on it in front of the second pic. You can post a better pic of the bird and it's comb, to be on the safe side, but that coloring is male.
x2
hide.gif

Oh dear, really!?!? These are the best recent pictures I have. Can you tell from them? Or should I take some new ones in the morning?

Back
Top Bottom