Why do my broody hens ALWAYS go off and find a hiding place to sit on eggs?

MY OEG Hens, along with their offspring (OE mixed with PBR and OE mixed with SLW) always go off and find hiding spots to lay and sit on there eggs. In the last two weeks, we have FINALLY FOUND five nests. Granny, should be hatching any day.. (in the neighbors outbuilding) "Baby" hiding in my lumber storage shed.. Currently sitting on 12 eggs, UGA baby, sitting on six eggs in the tractor shed, "Mark" sitting on ONE real egg, and two fake eggs, in said neighbor's outbuilding, and last but not least our little Mattie, who just started laying in the last month or so, sitting on four or five of her teeny tiny little eggs in the back of a grass seeder machine thingy. Is this unusual for them to stop using the nesting boxes and find a hiding place to lay eggs? Do they see that we are collecting eggs everyday from the boxes, and realize "NOPE can't lay there, she'll take my future babies" so go and find the most hidden place on earth? So confused... I want to eventually do away with all these broody breeds. except for my Granny. She's my baby and she can have anything she wants lol
love.gif

They are doing what comes naturally. All of mine go broody in the nestboxes. I don't have any OEG so maybe it's a breed thing since they are closer to a wild type.

Back
Top Bottom