Why do my chickens all cram into one coop to sleep when there is another coop almost empty?

if it hasnt been said yet Sleeping in the nest boxes is a bad idea. They windup pooping in the nest box... Bad dirty eggs later on.

Roost should be higher than the nest box and each bird needs about a fooot of roosting space. so eighteen feet of roosting space. They may not use it all but it keeps squabbgles down when they get to be about five pounds each.... a bit of an exaggeration but you understand what i am talking about. You need a bigger coop. or an expansion.

Oh and four birds had me with eggs coming out of our ears... Just easter eggers... each one layed about five eggs a week... Thats twenty eggs.... TWo people even if they eat eggs will every meal will be having quite a few extras by the end of the week.

lol... Unless you are like me I get em because they are silly looking or decided to go broody and hatch out a bizillion Chickletts. :gig That was after I moved out of the city.

But dang there is nothing cuter than a fiesty bantam hen with a troup of chickes teaching them how to be chickens.

deb

94B2EBF1-CC08-4BFE-B74B-10BB75EC04FA.jpeg
View attachment 1574343 Wanted to show the progress on the permanent chicken house. Half of the sub floor is done, the rest can be finished tomorrow. It is a lot of work!
I am in middle Tennessee. You know, I was scornful at first of the Chinese chicken coop but I have to admit, it keeps them dry and sheltered at night, while they sleep, and they go back in the daytime to lay their legs. I think the key is, they only sleep in it, and have much room to freerange from dawn till dusk.
another problem I am having is my free range flock of 18 birds are tearing up and killing my back yard, with their chicken behavior. When I get the new coop built, I am going to fence them into a suitable run and restore my damaged yard.

Back
Top Bottom