Why do my chickens dine on dandelions?

kcan2

Free Ranging
Oct 18, 2019
MI
In addition to their normal bug-hunting, I noticed that my chickens specifically eat dandelion leaves (not the flowers) pretty often.

Besides attempting to remind me to eat more salad, does anyone know why they like dandelion leaves so much?

They actually have me wondering of there is something healthy or beneficial to eating dandelions.

In addition to their normal bug-hunting, I noticed that my chickens specifically eat dandelion leaves (not the flowers) pretty often.

Besides attempting to remind me to eat more salad, does anyone know why they like dandelion leaves so much?

They actually have me wondering of there is something healthy or beneficial to eating dandelions.

The common Dandelion is actually a European plant that was brought over by the earliest settlers for food. During harsh winters a lack of Vitamin C was always a problem and dandelions were the first edible greens to pop up in the spring making them very valuable.

Many people still eat fresh young dandelion greens today. Course now we also know pine needles contain vitamin C too (so if 2020/21 brings teotwawki and we all become subsistance farmers eat your dandelion greens and make some pine needle tea to keep the scurvy away!)

Last edited:
I may have bought some from the store before...

In my defense, hard to get greens to eat when your garden is frozen/buried in snow.
Nothing wrong with buying something you want to eat. I just get a kick out of people who treat their lawn to get rid of stuff and then go off and buy that very same thing they treated their law to get rid of. Those people are actually the norm and I am weird guy who spreads dandelion seeds on purpose.

I have honey bees. I used to see empty lots as waste areas but if you look they are filled with blooming plants all summer long giving my bees something to work with. A manicured green grass lawn deprives my bees from making a living. Bees love blooming dandelions. My perspective has changed. I think it is amazing the chickens "know" what is good for them.

Baby greens are delicious in salads
I will have to try that! Maybe tomorrow as salad is already on the menu. 🥬🍴

I like them myself in the yard.
As with many things, the chickens have changed my perspective on dandelions. I think I need to embrace your outlook on having them in the yard since it's already a toss up between them and the grass 😆 maybe the Europeons are on to something!

Not sure why your chickens are eating specifically dandelions, but what I do know is that dandelions are rich in several vitamins, including vitamin K and vitamin A. (The chickens probably don't know that, though! :lol: ) They also have calcium, and, in my opinion, are just plain tasty. Not sure why exactly your chickens seem attracted directly to that plant (my own flock won't touch them...but then again, they won't touch most treats), but I hope my rambling helps some. :)
I had no idea that dandelions had calcium until today! I guess dandelions are just more fun than oyster shells? Chicken mystification is certainly a real thing. Thanks for the rambles! 😃

I spread Dandelion Seeds (some neighbors hate me doing it) They are one of the most beneficial "weeds" you can have. Great food for humans, chickens love them but if you have an organic lawn their deep roots bring Calcium up and when you mow them or their leaves fall off they distribute Calcium to a level that your grass can access it. I prefer a lawn full of Dandelions... as well as clover, Plantains etc over a one of those perfect weedless lawns that have become the norm. If I do get a weed I prefer not to have in the lawn I uproot it remove seeds and compost it.

Back
Top Bottom