Why Do My Chickens Seem Angry With Me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Laurajean, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I know that sounds like a silly question, but today I went out to check on my chickens and they all scattered like heck and acted scared of me. Usually they come up to me, wanting treats, etc., but they were all hiding as if I were a predator. I picked up my Cochin, who is normally very mellow and happy, and she was squirming to get away.

I have been very ill and have not been out there as often as usual. I've only been out once a day to check on them briefly and come back inside, so perhaps the lack of my frequent presence could explain it?

My rooster was attacking me relentlessly, and the hens wanted nothing to do with me. [​IMG]

I am wondering if they could be stressed, perhaps from the cold weather? This is their first winter.

Any thoughts on why they're suddenly so anti-social??

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Take treats with you when you go out next time. There's nothing like a little pantry love to smooth things over. [​IMG]

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    You weren't wearing red by any chance, were you? My husband thought the chickens hated him and it was only because he wore red shirts most of the time.

deb g
    KY

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Your lack of presence might have something to do with it. Mine freaked out when I went in the run with brightly colored boots. Who knows what goes on in their little, tiny brains ? [​IMG]
    But, I agree, take a treat, no matter how small, every time you go out for a while.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I always take them scratch when I go out, that's why I was surprised at their fleeing.... they usually come running for the treats. I was not wearing red, although I do have bright pink muck boots, but then again, I always wear those to the coop, so I don't know what the deal is. I could only catch the cochin, and like I said she squirmed and squawked. The others I couldn't even catch, they avoided me like the plague. Can't figure it out, unless it's as I said, maybe because I haven't been out as often.... [​IMG]

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Maybe they seen a predator that you didn't hanging around... [​IMG]

7. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Mine did that when i went on vacation to flordia for 10 days when I got home they were very upset. All sixteen ran away. even though my mom went up to the coop every day and sat with them they were still angery. Try sitting up there for a little while. through some treats and watch them peck them. They will warm back up to you after a couple of minutes.[​IMG]

8. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Mine were a little flighty around me for a bit after I had knee surgery early this month. Couldn't go out there for a week or so. Crutches and snow/ice don't mix well! LOL After I had been going out daily again for a while, they settled down. How quickly they forget, it seems!

9. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    My boyfriend went outside in a hat (opposed to no-hat) and was attacked by our normally docile rooster and turkey!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by