Why do my ducks harass our dog?

we have two drakes and a hen. lately i keep noticing them, the drakes mostly, following our LGDs, 110 lbs each. its so funny every time. they havent caused any trouble, but it keeps cracking me up. the dogs will start running to one side of the yard and the ducks will waddle or even fly, following them all the way over there. its like they want to be part of the action. i havent noticed the same thing with our puppy who is 30 lbs and not LGD.

My ducks are curious about one of my dogs but ignore the other one. My dog always runs away when they get too close. They are afraid of my smaller barn cat. Who knows how they decide who to run up to, who they are afraid of and who they ignore?
These remarks are great! OK more to the 'cat rules' concept. I have 13yr, 4yr, and 1yr old cats. The 1yr old is a terror, running and plowing over the older ones. The ducks have clearly dominated and intimidated the cats, except Buzz, the 1yr old. The others tolerate the duck peckers and move away when ducks head for 'em. Buzz turns his back and does the "you're not there" cat thing. The ducks actually get bored pecking his back and move on. These last few days buzz has practiced stalking 'em. In a week or 2, I expect him to charge a duck either bouncing a somersault over 'em or center kicking off of 1. Then it's game on :p

I'd be sure that your dogs/cats know that given the chance, a duck knows the eyes are a high point score. If your pet has dodged an eye peck attempt, then likely they'll defend for that. But a duck could blind by landing an unexpected well targeted peck to the eye.

Back
Top Bottom