Why do my hatchlings smell so bad?!

Peckyweck01

Songster
Aug 30, 2020
Mcminnville, Oregon
So I just had 4 chicks hatch around the same few hours, and they stink really bad like ammonia! I have hatched chicks before, usually as many as 15, but they never stunk. Why do these chicks stink so bad? I set up my larger incubator and put them in it once it warmed up, then I cleaned my 7 egg incubator they hatched in since I had 7 eggs. 6 of them were fertile so I threw the one out. Anyway, 2 fluffed chicks are out of the incubator and under a lamp. But the other 4 haven’t dried at all yet and they hatched about 8 hours ago. I got the small incubator completely cleaned out but it still smells a little. My chicks are so stinky they stunk up my big incubator by being in there for about 5 mins!!

So I just had 4 chicks hatch around the same few hours, and they stink really bad like ammonia! I have hatched chicks before, usually as many as 15, but they never stunk. Why do these chicks stink so bad? I set up my larger incubator and put them in it once it warmed up, then I cleaned my 7 egg incubator they hatched in since I had 7 eggs. 6 of them were fertile so I threw the one out. Anyway, 2 fluffed chicks are out of the incubator and under a lamp. But the other 4 haven’t dried at all yet and they hatched about 8 hours ago. I got the small incubator completely cleaned out but it still smells a little. My chicks are so stinky they stunk up my big incubator by being in there for about 5 mins!!
Did an egg explode in the incubator?

Im not sure why it smells so bad, I took most to all the egg shells out but the paper towel I put down was soaked and was a brownish color. Im not sure if "extra stuff" comes out of the egg when they hatch. But it just seems odd because one would think I would notice from past hatches.

😂 Sorry. Maybe some other egg in the incubator is getting smelly. Are the chicks pooping lots. Either way it’s nothing to worry about... IMHO
Haha thats alright, all the eggs hatched already, and the unfertile one got thrown out on the ending of week 2. So there is no more eggs to be smelly. The chicks did not look like they were pooping lots, but it could be from inside the eggshell that they pooped in there maybe. Either way it stinks really bad :hmm the smaller incubator still smells, and I took it all apart and hosed it out. Hopefully it will air out! :)

Back
Top Bottom