Why do my hens keep moving their nests?

sjarboe

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
I have 5 hens, 2 of which started laying about a month ago. They are all free range in the backyard, and I pen them up in their enclosure/coop at night. Neither has ever laid eggs in the nesting boxes, even though I provide clean dry hay. About 3 weeks ago, I discovered my RIR's secret nest along with about 5 eggs. My My RIR is definitely the Queen Bee and my Barred Rock soon followed suit, laying her eggs in the same nest. This went on about a week, and then no eggs for a few days. My younger hens led me to her new nest ( I guess they were curious what she was doing). I found 7 eggs and they both continued to use that nest for about 5 more days. This morning, I saw her in a new location and found 2 eggs.
I was under the impression they are creatures of habit. Is there anything I can do to encourage them to stay in one place?

Pen them up in the mornings, assuming they lay in the mornings. After they all have layed, let them out to free range. Do this for a week, then start letting them out again. Hopefully they will still lay in the nests. Encourage them by putting plastic eggs in the nests.

yep i would lock em up till they lay and then let them out, i wait till 2 pm to let mine out cause i know eggs are layed, 4 pm i give em their fruit and veggies and any bread and cooked rice i have , they do good,

Back
Top Bottom