why do my hens lay in the same nests

I think Fred's Hens is very much on to something. My free ranging jungle fowl go to considerable lengths to lay eggs in the nest of other hens. They are putting there eggs in more baskets spreading out risk increasing odds at least some survive. They seem only to lay in nest before incubation begins. Younger hens seem more prone to lay eggs in nest they will not incubate themslves. Domesticated birds may have simply been selected for behavior over time as it makes egg collection easier.

Quote:
Mine is next to the wall, on the Chickens left, not mine.

I also agree with the idea that they are trying to make sure their eggs get hatched. All animals, dogs and cats, show signs of their natural habits.

Quote:
Mine does everyday!
tongue.png

I've got thirteen Leghorns in a tractor that has three individual nests in it. They've been laying about three weeks now and four out of five days every single egg will be in the same nest. Only once in a while will we find an egg or two (never three) in one of the other nests.

Fred has the right of it I believe.

I have three hens and three nest boxes and they use to fight over one.

So I have three plastic Easter Eggs that I move around between the three nest boxes. And if I put two eggs in one box, that's the one they go for. It's like they are thinking, oh, someone already started here, I must lay my egg with the others.

lol.png
7LFarm:
your hens are "Speshul"
lol.png

I have 6 hens & 2 nestboxes.
Inevitably all eggs are in one box or the other.
I think Fred is right- wherever the first egg gets laid, the others figure that is The Right Place.
Silly hens

Our hens all lay their eggs in the same box - the one on the left, next to the wall! I've even put wooden eggs in the other boxes. Occasionally I'll find maybe one egg in the box next to the "favorite". I've seen a chicken climb into the "favorite" box when another one is already occupying it! We took all the nesting material out of the favorite once and they laid their eggs in the box directly across from the favorite - again it was in the corner next to the wall.

I have 12 hens... so far 9 eggs in far left box, ( 1 on ground today...) 3 empty boxes!!! i cantgetover this far left thing! :p

Last edited:
Hello!

I hope you get this response. I have a question regarding my two girls. Only one has actually been broody (made her own nest, laid all the eggs, etc) but my other hen seems to want to be involved in the egg care. It's funny bc she lays her own eggs and has no desire to lay on them. She gets into the broody box and wants to lie next to my broody hen. Then another strange thing happened, when I let the two girls out for a quick swim, the broody hen mounted her friend (who was signaling that she wanted to mate). This is so strange to me. Do you think she wants to fulfill the fatherly role?

:idunno

Back
Top Bottom