Why do our butchered birds have stiff legs?

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
I know this sounds awful, but our neighbor helped my dh butcher some turkeys and roos. The legs of all of them are sticking straight out and I am not able to bend them? What happened??

Quote:
Rigor Mortis. It happens to every animal after it dies and lasts several hours. The muscles eventually relax, although they'll still be stiffer than they were immediately after it died.

thank you but we put them immediately into a cooler with ice water in it for a couple hours and then into the freezer and they stayed like that. I thawed one roo out to cook about a week later and the legs still were like that? I don't even want to cook them now.

Quote:
If the bird was aged properly and even brined it should have been much more flexable, aging does help the muscles relax and the brine helps.

AL

I'm no expert but I think you should let them rest for a good day or two before freezing or cooking to allow the flesh to relax again. I would soak them in the fridge or cooler for two days. Change out the ice water each day.

Someone with more experience will probably correct me if I'm wrong...
smile.png

When we shoot deer we get it into manageable sized pieces and pour salt on it and stick it in a cooler on the back porch on ice for a couple of days before processing. I assume this serves the same purpose.

I just cook as normal, they come out fine after cooking
wink.png

And yes, riggor will wear off after a while in the fridge but I never have that much patience, nice fresh chicken to cook is worse than money burning a hole in my pocket
gig.gif

Quote:
Well, I finally found the info I needed in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. LOL You were right Tipsy! chickens should "rest" for a day or so in the fridge before freezing to let the muscles relax. Darn!!
he.gif
We will know the next time! Everyone's suggestions were great!

If my poultry is going to always be a bit stiff - and so far it has been - why is the stuff in the shops so flacid and floppy?

Back
Top Bottom