Why Do People Buy Live Chicks From Breeders and Farm Stores‭?

The sex-linked product is often easy to do. I do fairly often with stocks that are not pure, but are homozygous for the sex-linked allele needed to create the sex-linked products desired that are easy to ID at hatch.

The sex-linked product is often easy to do. I do fairly often with stocks that are not pure, but are homozygous for the sex-linked allele needed to create the sex-linked products desired that are easy to ID at hatch.
What kind of sex links are you making?
Most sex links are made because the genes involved are sex linked therefore there is no homozygous on the female side which is why the sex link works.

Right. There's what I think of as the generic term sexlink, being just the basic fact that you can distinguish sex at hatch, and then there's what the chick buying public thinks of as Sexlinks, ie Black Stars, Golden Comets, etc.

Black Stars and Golden Comets are names that have been trade marked. This means that competing hatcheries can not apply those names to their own chicks and expect to not be sued by the holder of the trade mark.

What kind of sex links are you making?
Most sex links are made because the genes involved are sex linked therefore there is no homozygous on the female side which is why the sex link works.
American Dom females by American Game males lacking sex-linked barring enables rapid detection of all-black female offspring. Direct detection of barring on a background other than extended black for males not easy enough. Doing same with Missouri Doms and they ain't pure as only 6 generations in. The other involves gray game hens bread to anything not gray where I can pick out juvenile males easy but with some backgrounds I can pick them out in down as well.

I would love to have a rooster and acquire babies the good old fashioned way, but my husband consistently squashes my dreams of rural living.
Maybe someday!

I don't think I have the skill set to successfully incubate. It seems really involved! And my egg loving toddler would more than likely try to eat them, so there's that:lol:

I would love to have a rooster and acquire babies the good old fashioned way, but my husband consistently squashes my dreams of rural living.
Maybe someday!

I don't think I have the skill set to successfully incubate. It seems really involved! And my egg loving toddler would more than likely try to eat them, so there's that:lol:
Unless you live in an urban area that bans roosters you may be able to raise them under a hen. BTW hatcheries have been around since the late 1800's so what is "old fashioned" since Amish are "modern" under that definition....

Unless you live in an urban area that bans roosters you may be able to raise them under a hen. BTW hatcheries have been around since the late 1800's so what is "old fashioned" since Amish are "modern" under that definition....
I'm in an area that is about as urban as you can get :(

Oh man, I miss Amish country. They make the most delicious fudge:drool

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom