Why do people have roos?

For me, I keep roosters just because I like roosters. It's also a plus that they fertilize the eggs, and the hens seem to like them, except for the one that is now a bachelor because all of his hens were going bald, so they got taken away and given to a much more gentlemanly rooster.

I would like to have one in order to save a life--so many are available for free and most won't come to good ends.
sad.png

But I only have a VERY small flock and a rooster would drive my girls nuts. I don't think it would be a happy situation. Roosters apparently need LOTS of hens.

Quote:
My Clarice is our rooster.
wink.png
She crows (pretty well, too) and tells everyone else what to do. But she's not mean to the others and doesn't peck at them, etc. She's a benevolent despot. It seems to work pretty well. I guess I have lesbian hens.
wink.png

My roo thinks he is ten feet tall and bullet proof. My wife didn't want a roo at first but fell in love with him. I have seen him position himself between a dog and his girls with no hesitation. He is selfless and and great protector.

Quote:
My Clarice is our rooster.
wink.png
She crows (pretty well, too) and tells everyone else what to do. But she's not mean to the others and doesn't peck at them, etc. She's a benevolent despot. It seems to work pretty well. I guess I have lesbian hens.
wink.png

I've had both bantam and standard roosters work well with as few as 3 or 4 hens, and I've also had 1 rooster who had 3 hens and gave them bald spots on their backs. It really depends on the rooster.

I keep roos for fertile eggs,protecting the flock,and they are beautiful! I have one roo that breaks up any "fights" between the younger ones....so cute...he doesn't hurt them...just stops the behavior.Plus,I think my hens like having them around as some "hang out" with their roo
smile.png

Quote:
Well, I can't take the risk that it wouldn't work out. Critters who come to live w/ me are there forever--there is no "rehoming" with me. So I won't take on a rooster who might have to live his life out alone (and require yet another palatial setup, LOL!).

Back
Top Bottom