Why do people keep ostriches, emus, etc?

Hi, Ducksrule!

Well, if you have space and a granary full of food, they make great pets: curious and affectionate and funny.

S.E.

pets and dinner here.... yup.. emu meat is pretty yummy.. much like a very tender, lean beef in taste and texture

the main reason why emu are available in the U.S. as pets is because of the meat industry.. emu were being raised as an alternative livestock for the dinner table in the 90's.. unfortunately for the emu ranchers the bottom fell out of the market since the american public never really embraced eating emu meat... there are still a few businesses which sell the meat (as well as oil, leather, feathers and bones).. so it's still on the menu at some of the finer restaurants and available online..
in the past several years there has been an increase in emu popularity again ... though (here in the States) it's more for pets than meat or oil.. other countries do raise them for meat and not so much as pets.. so it really depends on where you are as to the reasons for keeping them

We just got bored with other types of poultry and fowl. Raised chickens as a hobby as a youngster, moved to ducks, geese, then to turkeys... Even though we've had emus for years, it is still pretty neat to us when we walk out in the back enclosures and have the second largest birds in the world running up to us looking for a snack, kinda like a scene out of Jurassic Park!

Last edited:
I only have 2 and I am amazed by them everyday, they are the silliest, sweetest little trouble makers you could ever ask for. I am in awe of these giant birds that have to help you do all your chores and insist on being hugged 30 times a day. How could you not love them?!

Hi I was wondering if you could help me
I am planning on getting rheas but I wanted to know what I need to get before they arrive
What food do they need ?
What shelter ?
Man I safe to go near them ?
How do I move them ?

Just thinking about getting emus to add to our alpaca herd. Is a male/female pair the perfect combination?

The breeder I'm talking with will just send a minimum of three chicks. What would be the best ratio in this instance? 2 males and a female or would that be too hard on the girl? Or just get 4?!

The breeder I'm talking with will just send a minimum of three chicks. What would be the best ratio in this instance? 2 males and a female or would that be too hard on the girl? Or just get 4?!
It's impossible to know for sure. We had two males and a female in one enclosure this fall that had been together for several months. The female and one male paired up, then they both ganged up on the unpaired male, fatally injuring it. Juvenilles are fun and when they are young, they all get along just fine for the first two years. But as adults, they can turn on each other during the pairing process, even brothers and sisters. The smaller the enclosure, the greater chance for conflict. Once our birds pair up, every pair gets its own love pen until the laying season is over!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom