Why do poeple think that eating duck eggs is gross?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Happy Quack, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Happy Quack

Happy Quack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2016
    Gunnison Colorado
    I have found that most people will not eat a duck egg because it is different or gross in their eyes. I was wondering why? They come out the same way as chicken eggs.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Go Habs Go Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Good question- I never saw a difference. [​IMG]
    -Banti

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I don't understand it either but your sure right, some people wig out. Eggs is eggs.

4. gal5150

gal5150 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    SO, best friend, etc all weirded out by the thought of them but all chicken egg eaters.....crazy

5. Richb353

Richb353 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,
    Right now I'm averaging 5 eggs a day. Quite a few people at work absolutely love farm fresh duck eggs, grown local and healthy. I can eat them in pancakes and waffles, but can't do omelets, fried eggs, etc.. I know where they came from! With good accuracy, I can tell the specific bird the egg popped out of!

On the flip side, I did get a nice Belgian Wafflemaker last Christmas and am now the waffle master!

Rich

6. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Duck and goose eggs are both really rich. Make excellent baked goods! I like them but they upset my stomach. If They are cooked in french toast etc, I can eat them. Just fried or scrambled, oh my they are so awesome! I just can't keep them down so to speak. I keep both species, and we use every egg our girls give us.

7. Sassysouth

Sassysouth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2016
    Decatur, AL
    I don't know, I guess I wasn't raised eating duck eggs. I don't want to eat duck eggs and I don't want to eat duck. I don't want to eat bison either. I have tried all the above, some things I just don't care to eat.

I don't know where duck eggs are available and it has never crossed my mind to search for any.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  8. solarpup

solarpup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    Massachusetts
    They are a little different. Compared to store bought chicken eggs, the shell is thicker, with a noticeable inner membrane. And the whites have a more viscous quality to them (although oddly enough, I find the whites *much* harder to whip into stiff peaks than store bought chicken eggs – although I'm not sure that's the "duck" nature or the freshness at work). It's all about what you're used to.

We started off doing baked goods with them, but have progressed to omelettes and what not. There's a slight adjustment in the cooking learning curve with them, and they are definitely heavier on the yolks. Otherwise, we find them not too much different than chicken eggs.

However, we have a number of people here at work who will fight each other for the chance to take our extras, and find the fresh duck eggs to be, in their view, far superior to any store bought chicken option.

That being said, although we happily eat our duck eggs, I have a friend whose parrot laid an egg, and I asked if he ate it, and he looked horrified at the thought! (Likewise, my wife thought that was a totally creepy concept.) Again, there's a lot of interesting psychology at play here.

9. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Agreed. I will eat any egg my birds lay, from quail to goose. The key is what you CAN eat without moral or digestive issues. I love goose and duck eggs, they don't agree with me unless in baked goods. I love turkey and guinea eggs, awesome. Duck or goose eggs are very rich..and make me nauseous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by