1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Why do ready-to-lay hens squat or dance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Jul 13, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have six pullets who are 12 weeks old. My father-in-law has seven laying hens. When someone walks up to them they squat low to the ground and do a wierd little dance with their feet. I have also heard of layers or almost-layers who squat when someone comes near.

Why do they do this?

2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I have wondered exactly the same thing. Mine do it all the time: some slink away when you try to pat them, others get right down and stay squatted for ages! [​IMG]

Perhaps they think we're rooster [​IMG]

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    It's a submissive mating posture. Sorta a hen's way of saying "take me big boy".

4. pjknust

pjknust Chirping

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    In my personal opinion, I think its submission, coz you are top chicken. Mine do that too.

5. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    same as a cat in heat, they are ready to
    breed.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They are submitting. If you were a rooster, you would hop right on and take advantage of the opportunity to mate.

When mine do that for me, I give 'em a skritch on the back of the neck just above the shoulders, another skritch at the base of the tail, and a final pat on the middle of the back, saying, "Good girl!" Then the hens stand up and fluff up their feathers with a little shake.

I prefer to think they're just adjusting their coifs so they don't walk around with "bed feathers," even though I actually know why they do that shake. (It moves the rooster's semen up from the cloaca to the proper location for egg fertilization.)

When they first start to squat, it's a signal they're sexually mature.

7. epeloquin

epeloquin Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:Ew...[​IMG]

8. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Songster

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    They do think you're ready to mount... it's funny... humor them, reach over and give them a shake. believe it or not hens that are ready to lay will start laying not too long afterwards [​IMG]

9. epeloquin

epeloquin Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:X2 Ew... [​IMG]

10. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Ew...[​IMG]

Yeah poor thing you now know more than you ever wanted to about chicken sex. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by