Why do ready-to-lay hens squat or dance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Jul 13, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have six pullets who are 12 weeks old. My father-in-law has seven laying hens. When someone walks up to them they squat low to the ground and do a wierd little dance with their feet. I have also heard of layers or almost-layers who squat when someone comes near.

Why do they do this?

2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I have wondered exactly the same thing. Mine do it all the time: some slink away when you try to pat them, others get right down and stay squatted for ages! [​IMG]

Perhaps they think we're rooster [​IMG]

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    It's a submissive mating posture. Sorta a hen's way of saying "take me big boy".

4. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    In my personal opinion, I think its submission, coz you are top chicken. Mine do that too.

5. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    same as a cat in heat, they are ready to
    breed.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They are submitting. If you were a rooster, you would hop right on and take advantage of the opportunity to mate.

When mine do that for me, I give 'em a skritch on the back of the neck just above the shoulders, another skritch at the base of the tail, and a final pat on the middle of the back, saying, "Good girl!" Then the hens stand up and fluff up their feathers with a little shake.

I prefer to think they're just adjusting their coifs so they don't walk around with "bed feathers," even though I actually know why they do that shake. (It moves the rooster's semen up from the cloaca to the proper location for egg fertilization.)

When they first start to squat, it's a signal they're sexually mature.

7. epeloquin

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:Ew...[​IMG]

8. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    They do think you're ready to mount... it's funny... humor them, reach over and give them a shake. believe it or not hens that are ready to lay will start laying not too long afterwards [​IMG]

9. epeloquin

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:X2 Ew... [​IMG]

10. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Ew...[​IMG]

Yeah poor thing you now know more than you ever wanted to about chicken sex. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by