1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why do roosters crow at night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tanusik, Jan 21, 2010.

1. tanusik

tanusik New Egg

Jan 17, 2010
    Hi! I've got two roosters whey are about 6 months, one of them is the king [​IMG] anyway for some reason he crow at night all the the time starting like at 11, in a day time he doesn't , why? is anybody know?[​IMG]

2. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    I have no freakin idea ~ [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Because he CAN.

He's just showing off and/or practicing - at six months, he's an adolescent. [​IMG]

4. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    Mine will start crowing a couple hours before sunrise in the pitch black darkness, why? I don't know.
    I remember reading books as a kid and the rooster always crowed a daybreak, what a crock![​IMG]

5. chicks4life

chicks4life Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Lights will cause them to crow. If they see head lights they will start to crow. You need to keep them in a dark chicken coop and let them out in the AM.

6. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

A rooster crows to maintain his territory and also to keep in contact with his hens. They swear that their hens are deaf. Ours will crow at 2am, 3am, 4am and then at 6am and throughout the day. And we have 17 roosters. It gets pretty melodic around here.

7. Chickens CAN see infra red lighting. This means that if the sun is about to raise, they will see the infra red spectrum of this up coming event.

I keep a low watt energy efficient bulb on all night in the barn. This tends to "fool" the roosters and they are fairly quiet during the night and early morning.

Good Luck Cause some of them just crow for the heck of it.

8. mrstiffanymayer

mrstiffanymayer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Bakersfield California
    I had one that loved the time between 11pm and 4 am to crow at least once per hour. He ended up being overly agressive with the hens and then attacked my daughter even after rehabilitation efforts.

Maybe he just has too much rooster testosterone? Mine ended up in the crock pot for his bad behavior. I dont want to pass on those genes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by