Why do they all lay eggs in the same box????

Well I guess they all just like that box!! The fake eggs did not work 6 eggs so far today. All in the same box. I am not complaining, I am very glad they are not laying them on the ground! I was just wondering why.

If you have 3 on top and 3 on bottom I will guess its the bottom right box. If its the one furthest from the rest of the chickens they want thier privacy. Mine will stack up in the box if one is in there for too long. Go with the fake egg to try to draw the others out, but privacy is the issue. where would you want to lay your egg? where everyone can see, or in the corner where no one can see.

Now the big question once they have snuck off and layed the egg, why do they have to announce to the world that they are done? Its to let the next in line know it is thier turn.
lau.gif

Thanks so much for the info. But no it is not the bottom box it is the top one. I also have some hens who really let you know they just layed an egg. When I first got them, they were already laying. I heard some one out in the hen house just making a fuss, I swore the cat was eating one of them!! I go running out there and she was standing over her egg! She almost gave me a heart attack!
barnie.gif

I have 12 nice nest boxes. They lay in three, and also lay in the corner of the room. Oh well. Whatever makes them happy, right? At least they are laying in the house, and not under it!

For a while, my chickens all started laying under the chicken coop! What a mess!

I have a stone egg that I put where I want the girls to lay and some of them will lay there. They seem to be saying, " Oh, look, someone laid an egg there. Must be a good egg laying spot!" Talk about peer pressure!

Except of course my one hen who lays right in the feed bin!

I don't think it is really anything to worry about. But, if you want to, I would plant some real eggs in the places you would like them to lay and leave them there for a few days.

Good Luck!

When mine do this, I take a few of the eggs first thing in the morning, and put one in each of the other boxes. By day's end, there are a few new eggs in each box.

They all lay in one spot because by nature they try to achieve a "clutch" of eggs so they can set even though they are not broody, the instinct to do this is still present.

Back
Top Bottom