Why do they follow me? And they hate to be touched......

Prareedawn

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 27, 2012
It makes me Happy and I LOVE it but why do they follow me? Its so cute. I can just walk around the yard and they all just run after me. Our chickens don't really like to be touched a lot and hate being picked up so its funny to me that they love to be next to us. They are not afraid of us but they just don't want to be touched. When they were younger they would jump up on your shoulder or lap but now (20 weeks) they don't want you to touch them at all. I'm wondering if this was form the kids constantly trying to pick them up and if i can get them used to be touched at all or is it too late now?

Mine are the same way. They run up to the car when I get home everyday and if I'm in the yard I look like the pied piper with a line of chickens behind me. But, If I try to pet them or pick them up they will peck me and want no part of it. I thought mine were just weirdos.
hu.gif

LOL thank god mine arent the only ones LOL I thought maybe I had emotionally damaged them! They never peck at us though. Except to try to eat the fuzz trim on my boots or the strings form my hoodies LOL!

Mine are the same way - as chicks they would hop on an outstretched hand/arm for a minute or two then fly back to the brooder, but now they want nothing to do with being held. I had one break skin the other day when I tried to pick it up. Yet they crowd around me so close I'm nearly tripping over them to fill their waterer or feeder.

Mine are 8 wks, 6 BO’s, 2 RIR’s & 2 EE’s,
Get really close, eat from my hand, but run
Before you can touch. Will that change as they get older?

Back
Top Bottom