Why do they hate me?

Quote:
If Little Mike was a bigger rooster and he attacked my kids or even me- Wring , wring, chop , chop- But he's not big enough to do any real damage right now When those little spurs get sharp and he tries something might be a different story. I don't actually hurt him when I carry him around or pull his neck feathers- just kind of humiliate him I think. Plus he's in a cage and he can't get to my kids . I have knocked off Roosters in the past , but they don't live very long if I have go to that extreme. My uncle got spurred right behind his ear when he was young and the doctor said that a little more and could have done some major damage or possibly even could have killed him. Bad Rooster with Sharp Spur = Chicken Soup or Tomato fertilizer. I really like little Mike , so I hope me training him works- I may even turn him out with the neighbors free range chickens before I kill him. If she says it'sokay of course.

I havenʻt tried this yet, but another BYC member suggested carrying the rooster by its claws hung upside down! Supposedly, the complete domination and the disorientation shocks him into submission. But donʻt do it for very long, just a few minutes.

Iʻve never had problems with roosters. They are just doing their job and as soon as they recognize that you are just doing yours, they leave you alone. But if you act fearful, they sense that and will pester you forever.

Thank you everyone for your advice, especially dancingbear! Thanks!
The roosters have been attacking us for a very long time, since the middle of summer I'd say. We've tried 'sending them a message' and it clearly doesn't work. I agree that we may have too many roos for our 18 girls. Two standard size and two bantams...the two bantams pick on the one standard and the other standard is very dominant.
I just bought Storey's guide to raising chickens and there is a good description on how to cull...looks like I have some reading to do tonight and a busy day tomorrow.
Wish me luck!!!

PS: I'd never DREAM of bringing my daughter into the chickens without my husband...she loves looking at them through the fencing though. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get over my fear of the roos...so they must go. Atleast we got our incubator full and due March 23rd from these roos...they've served their purpose as far as I'm concerned.

fl.gif

Good luck to you! You'll have plenty of young cockerels to choose from in your hatchlings. With luck, you'll get a nice, mellow one. You'll just have to cull all the excess ones before they escalate to violence.

Hopefully the "attack" gene won't be too prevalent in your new ones. If It is, you may want to go outside your own flock to find a gentle roo, and just eat the ones you hatch from the previous sires.

Today DH's Grandmother, Mother, and Brother came and helped (pretty much did everything) cull the two roos. DH did the neck chopping and had a very hard time because of all the feathers protecting the neck. I watched the whole thing and now a little mortified.
sickbyc.gif

Almost enough to consider becoming a vegetarian, really. It will wear off though..as I love meat.

Tonight my MIL has invited us over for dinner and she is roasting both roos for us. I'm nervous about having to eat them. I may just skip the plate.

Well, now that the nasty boys are gone, hopefully the coop will be a more peaceful home. Thank you everyone!!!!

All I do is go in with the cracked corn in a feeder and spread it around on the ground. All 22 girls and 3 boys act like I am trying to kill them and run off to the side or in the henhouse. kinda funny

I seen that some think 3 roo's would be too many, I have no problems as of yet, no fights, they are all roughly 22 weeks old, all raised together. will that make a difference? should I sell one?

Hey Rae,

Your roos are still young. You may see increasing aggression with them as they get older. This doesn't mean that your roos have to go right now--you can wait and watch, see if they are either riding your hens bare, attacking you or each other, and then decide which ones you like best and want to keep.

I'm surprised that your hens run away from you when you have cracked corn--my hens all run towards me as fast as they possibly can when they hear me, and even faster than that when they hear me call "here, chick chick chick chick"--the sign that I have treats. We have too many hens to tame individually, so I haven't gone out of my way to make them sweet.

Quote:
I agree. They may not have been a problem yet....sometimes you'll get lucky and just have a bunch of mellow roos. Cross your fingers and hope that's the case with your boys.

Mine all come running anytime they think food may be offered. Even though they have free-choice feed available at all times, let me appear at the back door, and I practically have to kick chickens out of the way to get out the door. Toss out a handful of anything they like and they act like they haven't eaten in weeks. And these are not chickens that like to be handled, either, except for one 'Lorp hen. They rest hate to be picked up. But they'll stand on my feet.

Back
Top Bottom