Why do they wait...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylilchix, Jan 27, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

until the coldest day of the year to go broody!! [​IMG] Henny Penny, one of my white cochins, has been on the verge of going broody for weeks. Well, she picks our first single digit day to go broody on me. [​IMG] Spent most of yesterday on the nest, but we decided to collect all of the eggs. Today, she's still there, so we left 2 eggs under her. One is hers, the other is from somebody else. I think I may move her into the house tomorrow and put her in a dog crate. She's in everyone's favorite nest box, and I want to give her time to sit on her babies. [​IMG]

Sonja

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Congrats on the broody!! I got 6 when it was -40 with windchills, broke 3 of them, stuck eggs under 2 and then another went broody. They are CRAZY to want to hatch chicks this time of year.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  3. mylilchix

It's too funny how they pick the worst weather to do this stuff. The kids are so excited though, so I want to give her a chance to try to hatch these eggs.

Sonja

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Maybe they're looking for an excuse to stay in? Also, a broody's body temps go up when they set so maybe they've discovered that internal heater feels good in very cold weather. [​IMG]

Actually I have been "patiently" collecting eggs waiting for anybody to go broody, but noooooo....

We're supposed to get an ice storm tonight, perhaps some will be broody tomorrow. I hope....... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  5. mylilchix

Hmmm, I like that theory! It definitely is hot under her when I go check for eggs. Sweet girl, last night she had one tucked up near one leg and the other tucked up against her other leg.

Becky, I hope you have a broody soon!! We've been watching this girls for a good couple months now. She'd spend losts of time in the nest box, but would still go out if I had treats. Then about a week ago she started pulling out neck feathers to line her nest. It was Monday when she stayed in most of the day and only left the nest because we took all of the eggs. Yesterday we decided to leave her be and see what happens. Hopefully, one of your girls will go soon! stay safe in the cold and ice, but hopefully it'll bring a broody.

Sonja

6. mylilchix

I forgot to mention, Chickenaddict, we used to live in frigid MN before we moved to balmy CO (it's been in the 40s most of the winter). We still have families in the Twin Cities area.

Sonja

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Howdy neighbor! I am originally from WI. I am having flashbacks this past week! [​IMG]

8. mylilchix

Me too and I'm wondering how come it feels like we moved back!!!!! [​IMG]
    Sonja

9. mylilchix

Well, Henny Penny moved into a dog crate in a quiet secluded part of my basement yesterday monring. She's eating, drinking, and taking good care of her babies. 19 more days to go!! I think she's a lot happier sitting on her eggs away from the coop. Can't wait to see what happens!!

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by