Why do we love our chickens so much?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gertsgal, Oct 30, 2010.

1. gertsgal

gertsgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Can someone please tell me what makes normally reasonable adults act fool over their chickens. I am absolutely crazy over my girls (and boys) and can't understand why I am suddenly living for the love and approval of 11 raptorbirds.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The most common reasons are a cheap, easy to care for animal that provides eggs and meat.

But past that, my reason is because I love birds, especially ones that don't require a cage or special heating or such, and I love how vast of a variety they come in. Also, they can be so personable, social, and spunky!

Oh, and I love genetics and challenges, so breeding for Show Qualities and good egg color as well as simply breeding for different egg colors is also a really fun, exciting thing to do.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I was reading a thread recently where some people were remarking on how peaceful it made them feel to watch their chickens.

I think that nails it- they POUR peace everywhere.

[​IMG]

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    They only THINK things we do not want to hear. They never actually SAY them.
    ...but, on occasion, they will give you the stink eye.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Ah yes that too. Especially when you have a vast pasture of wilderness just scattered with many different colors and body types of chickens. . . It just has me in pause for minutes on end. [​IMG]

And the boys. I have a huuge pen of a few roosters, they're all so handsome and colorful, and each with their own unique crow, voice, and method of charming me.

6. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Cant explain it other than its... well ,its just LOVE... Im so darn corny I cant help it.. Im still new and wonder if it will ever ware off? I mean im out there a million times a day.. I know them so well now I can tell "who " is making what noise.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    It's like having an aquarium in your back yard, watching the chickens bouncing all over the yard and the guineas moving like a school of fish.

8. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:My thoughts to a T. I put up with so much stress at work, I just love it when I can just come home and sit out in my lawn chair and watch the chickens just being chickens. It's so relaxing and also very fulfilling to see those baby chicks grow up to be beautiful, heathy, happy hens & roosters. Plus chicken feed is MUCH cheaper than a shrink. [​IMG]

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I find that my chickens expect very little of me...fresh water, food, treats (LOTS) and a pat or scratch every now and then... About ten min. a day.. In return, I get the best tasting eggs a person could ask for, more entertainment than any modern tv program--many more laughs and oh don't forget the drama.. (LOL), pest/bug control, fertilizer for my garden and weed control and several will come and let me love them...By me lowering my voice, sweet talking them and moving slowly-so I won't startle them--I am lowering my stress level--probably my Blood pressure... and it makes me more relaxed!!!

These are some of the reasons I love my chickens so much...

10. tedabug

tedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    It's the simple things in life that make us happiest. I love that chickens don't ask for much and are so happy with so little. I turned mine loose on my done-for-the-winter garden and you've never seen happier souls than those allowed to finish off the tomato plants, cucumbers, squash, and potatoes. All while fertilizing from the back end. You can't buy that from a store!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by