Why do we stop getting notifications?

How it seems to work for me:

For threads I am watching, if I get an update and go look at the thread, I will get another update the next time someone posts to the thread.

But if I see the update (in my browser or by email), but I do not go to the thread, the system does not send me any more updates until after I next visit the thread.

Sometimes I get an update and the thread has one new post, other times I get an update and by the time I go to the thread there are many pages of new posts-- but I only got one update even though there were lots of new posts.

I also have to be logged in when I go read the thread, or it will not know I was there. So reading the thread on someone else's computer can make me "quit" getting updates (the forum thinks I haven't visited since the last update, so it doesn't send me any more updates on that thread until I again visit the thread while logged in.)

(This is what I've observed. I don't know whether it does things differently for anyone else.)

For threads I am watching, if I get an update and go look at the thread, I will get another update the next time someone posts to the thread.

But if I see the update (in my browser or by email), but I do not go to the thread, the system does not send me any more updates until after I next visit the thread.

Sometimes I get an update and the thread has one new post, other times I get an update and by the time I go to the thread there are many pages of new posts-- but I only got one update even though there were lots of new posts.

I also have to be logged in when I go read the thread, or it will not know I was there. So reading the thread on someone else's computer can make me "quit" getting updates (the forum thinks I haven't visited since the last update, so it doesn't send me any more updates on that thread until I again visit the thread while logged in.)

(This is what I've observed. I don't know whether it does things differently for anyone else.)
Mine is exactly the same!

I stopped getting notifications for thread the other day, and when I went and looked it up it said i was still watching it, and then it sent me a notifacion for it. I was like 🙄

Yesterday I watched Pippin's OCD thread but never got any alerts for it. Ten minutes later after it had got reply after reply and I didnt get any notifications, I looked at my newsfeed and saw where she had replying to it. I went back to thread, of course it said I'm still watching it, so I unwatched it and re watched it, and finally started getting notifications.

Is there anyway to fix this?? It is SOOO annoying.

This seems to be how it works for me.

I make a point of looking at my watched threads list a couple times a week to catch what I missed.

This is exactly what I have found in my personal experience.

It happened a LOT to me today. But it seems like it's just when people keep on talking and talking in a thread and I don't go into it, then it just stops sending me alerts. But then when I go back into it, it sends me alerts again.;)
If I go back into one that it stopped, it starts sending them to me. But it stops sending them after I don't reply but am still giving reactions to posts and reading everything.

Back
Top Bottom