Why do you guys give your chickens apple cider vinegar?

I am using pine shavings and have been changing it about every two or three days. I was thinking about switching to sand because I thought that maybe the pine shavings are too dusty and this may be what is causing them to sneeze and jerk their heads.

They are now going on 3 weeks old and I currently keep the heat light on them at about 80 dg.

They are showing no other signs of respiratory stress other then jerking their heads and sneezing. No nasal discharge, they are not acting lethargic.. Their stool seems fine. I'm at a loss. I don't want to use antibiotics but if it isn't better by tomorrow I may be forced too.

I would reduce the heat and stop changing out their bedding...the first because they are old enough to do without constant heat and keeping it that hot can cause increased humidity(just have the heat at night if the temps go below 50F), leading to respiratory problems/illness in a small space. Lots of fresh air flow and keeping their litter in place, adding more when it gets too saturated, is probably healthier for their respiratory health than too much heat and raising a dust every three days with changing out the bedding.

Sounds like they are fine otherwise...and, yes, I'd add some ACV to the water because it can't hurt, only help.

I would reduce the heat and stop changing out their bedding...the first because they are old enough to do without constant heat and keeping it that hot can cause increased humidity(just have the heat at night if the temps go below 50F), leading to respiratory problems/illness in a small space.  Lots of fresh air flow and keeping their litter in place, adding more when it gets too saturated, is probably healthier for their respiratory health than too much heat and raising a dust every three days with changing out the bedding.

Sounds like they are fine otherwise...and, yes, I'd add some ACV to the water because it can't hurt, only help.   

Thanks for the information. I live in NS, Canada so the temps here aren't getting down to much past 55F at night. I will do as you have said and keep adding to their bedding instead of removing it and adding new, which as you said should reduce the dust.

I thought that at almost 3 weeks of age that the chicks would still require about 80 dg's of constant heat. Most threads I read about caring for chicks indicates that they should only have the heat taken away when you are down to 70 dg's.

Yeah...they do say that.
wink.png

If you could only observe chicks being raised by a broody mama at that age, they are never under her for warmth except at night~and even then they aren't under her at that age...more like lying next to her, so day time means they are active and not needing the heat. They will feather faster and do better without constant heat at 80* and I'd even reduce that heat level at night also....too hot isn't beneficial and they are old enough to provide body heat for each other without piling up and smothering one another. That natural body heat is so much more conducive to health than a steady, glaring heat. If you don't have a place in their brooder where they can escape the heat lamp, it would be a good idea to provide one and also raise that heat lamp up to reduce those temps. Weaning them off the heat is a good idea long about now.

This page in this thread will give you an idea of what chicks of that age are capable of..... these chicks were brooded on the floor of an open air coop, with hay bales as the brooder walls. Those walls were taken away at 2 wks and they just had a protected corner and a heat lamp when the temps dipped below 60. They rarely ever used that heated area but preferred to huddle together in a big lump away from the lamp.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/777172/delawares-from-kathyinmo/50

If you'll look at post #59 on that page, mine were completely without heat at 3 wks of age and night temps were still occasionally below 50 at that point.

Last edited:
Yeah...they do say that.  ;)

If you could only observe chicks being raised by a broody mama at that age, they are never under her for warmth except at night~and even then they aren't under her at that age...more like lying next to her, so day time means they are active and not needing the heat.  They will feather faster and do better without constant heat at 80* and I'd even reduce that heat level at night also....too hot isn't beneficial and they are old enough to provide body heat for each other without piling up and smothering one another.  That natural body heat is so much more conducive to health than a steady, glaring heat.  If you don't have a place in their brooder where they can escape the heat lamp, it would be a good idea to provide one and also raise that heat lamp up to reduce those temps.  Weaning them off the heat is a good idea long about now. 

This page in this thread will give you an idea of what chicks of that age are capable of..... these chicks were brooded on the floor of an open air coop, with hay bales as the brooder walls.  Those walls were taken away at 2 wks and they just had a protected corner and a heat lamp when the temps dipped below 60.  They rarely ever used that heated area but preferred to huddle together in a big lump away from the lamp. 

Thanks so much for your help ! Very much appreciated :).

After tonight I will start reducing the heat more, make sure they have fresh dry bedding added every few days and keep adding the ACV to their water. Do you think the sneezing and head shaking will go away on its own or should I use antibiotics to be sure ?

Yeah...they do say that.  ;)

If you could only observe chicks being raised by a broody mama at that age, they are never under her for warmth except at night~and even then they aren't under her at that age...more like lying next to her, so day time means they are active and not needing the heat.  They will feather faster and do better without constant heat at 80* and I'd even reduce that heat level at night also....too hot isn't beneficial and they are old enough to provide body heat for each other without piling up and smothering one another.  That natural body heat is so much more conducive to health than a steady, glaring heat.  If you don't have a place in their brooder where they can escape the heat lamp, it would be a good idea to provide one and also raise that heat lamp up to reduce those temps.  Weaning them off the heat is a good idea long about now. 

This page in this thread will give you an idea of what chicks of that age are capable of..... these chicks were brooded on the floor of an open air coop, with hay bales as the brooder walls.  Those walls were taken away at 2 wks and they just had a protected corner and a heat lamp when the temps dipped below 60.  They rarely ever used that heated area but preferred to huddle together in a big lump away from the lamp. 

If you'll look at post #59 on that page, mine were completely without heat at 3 wks of age and night temps were still occasionally below 50 at that point. 

Also, should I be giving the chicks vitamins ? If so, what do I give them ?

Been raising chickens on and off for 37 years...never gave an antibiotic, never had illness in the flock. So..no, I'm not into advocating antibiotics for a sneeze or a sniffle.
wink.png
If you want a healthy flock, I'd put the idea away of reaching for meds first. Just my two cents.....

If your kids had a few sniffles and sneezes, would you immediately reach for an antibiotic or would you wait and see what develops? Chicks at this age are not like human babies at 3 wks...they are equivalent to a 5 yr old human.

Give them time after you've made the necessary changes and just observe what happens. They are in no distress, they are eating and drinking, active and healthy otherwise, so I'd say the cause is mechanical/environmental and not internal.

The ACV has vitamins aplenty, so I'd go with that first.

Last edited:
Been raising chickens on and off for 37 years...never gave an antibiotic, never had illness in the flock.  So..no, I'm not into advocating antibiotics for a sneeze or a sniffle.  ;)   If you want a healthy flock, I'd put the idea away of reaching for meds first.  Just my two cents..... 

If your kids had a few sniffles and sneezes, would you immediately reach for an antibiotic or would you wait and see what develops?  Chicks at this age are not like human babies at 3 wks...they are equivalent to a 5 yr old human. 

Give them time after you've made the necessary changes and just observe what happens.  They are in no distress, they are eating and drinking, active and healthy otherwise, so I'd say the cause is mechanical/environmental and not internal. 

The ACV has vitamins aplenty, so I'd go with that first. 

Again, thank you so much for all of your help ! Very much appreciated ! I'll keep you posted on how things go :D

Back
Top Bottom