Why do you guys give your chickens apple cider vinegar?

If you have automatic waterers, how would you add ACV? In their coop, I have one of those automatic waterers that are hung from the ceiling and work by gravity and outside their coop, I have the nipple system.

If they have plastic components where the water is stored, you just add it when you refill with water. If the reservoir is metal, the ACV will corrode the metal and cause the metals to leech into your water. A metal nipple is usually stainless steel and won't suffer the same level of corrosion or leeching as does galvanized metals.

I actually use it. I use it about twice a week in winter and everyday in summer as it helps reduce algae growth in the water founts as well as having some health benefits. I am not sure it does everything mentioned (has not been proven to do so) but it certainly doesn't hurt and easy to do. For me, its a do no harm and may do a lot of good! practice
lol.png

I think there is something to ACV. I use Braggs and add it to their water daily during the spring/summer/fall laying months. I will only add it 1-2x per week during the winter, but laying is at a minimum and I don't worry too much about it then. I get it at our "fancy" grocery store for $22.99 per gallon and it lasts us a month (with DH and I occasionally taking shots of it, too....blech).

To me, my chickens look and feel better with the ACV. They have a better look in their eyes and are more active. Poop isn't as stinky, their egg shells are MUCH harder and thicker, and I do believe it slightly increases egg production (from my own experience only....not saying it would be true across the board, but I think it does).

I also add it to my elderly boston terrier's water. I think it helps him, too.

Thanks all,

I have finally got a hold of the ACV and have been adding it to their water a few times a week.
So far they seem to be doing well I think it has even made them look a little healthier.

Thanks again everyone for all the great posts.

I first heard about Raw unfiltered AVC and have been drinking it for 20 yrs. My father gave me the book by Dr DC Jarvis "Apple cider vinegar arthritis and folk medicine" also he has another called folk medicine both very interesting. I would recommend. I found them at used book stores. Bragg is a great product but Spectrum also makes raw unfiltered and is less expensive. I like to drink vinney vinegar and honey. One cup ACV one cup raw honey one gallon of Spring H2O
wink.png
thumbsup.gif

ohh I almost forgot this link this will give you a little info on DR Jarvis http://www.jcrows.com/jarvis.html

Last edited:
I read that ACV is bad for cats, something about causing crystals to form in the urinary tract.

What about for roosters? I've heard that people put ACV in the chickens' water for their laying hens, because the ACV helps the hens absorb the calcium better, that they need to form the shells around the eggs they lay.

However, laying mash has too much calcium in it for roosters-- it can kill roosters by collecting in their kidneys and causing kidney failure.

So if a rooster is in with hens who eat calcium-enriched laying mash, wouldn't the ACV in the water cause the rooster to absorb even more calcium, a no-no? Or would it flush his kidneys of the excess calcium, instead? No one seems to be able to give me an answer on this. Is there a Ph.D. expert around?

Thanks.

I know for cats it has to to with urine Ph. The ACV would make the urine more acidic and some cats are prone to crystals. With those cats you do have to be very careful of urine Ph, it must be kept neutral.

I don't know anything really about chickens yet. I am still looking for some courses dealing specifically with chicken health through my vet tech groups.

Back
Top Bottom