WHY do you have geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Frogdogtimestwo, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    I was thinking about my impulse buy of a trio of sebbies and I got to thinking what do I need them for besides eye candy for the yard? Since BYC has such a variety of people I thought I would put this out there and see what others have or use their geese for. THANKS, Frogdog

2. sheep

sheep Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    They make good yard watch- or house watch, if they're indoors. People tend to be more frightened of geese because you can't deter them with steak. ;P

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    They are fun to have. There is never a boring moment with 5 geese in your back yard! [​IMG]

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Well I originally got three to have eggs. They're not laying, so I'm thinking I'm going to have dinner!

5. sheep

sheep Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    Quote:I don't think they lay all year round.. xP Should have gotten chickens?

6. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    because my mother likes things that have no practical purpose, that and I think she likes to see me and the hubby sliding around in goose poop while trying to work in the run

7. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    LOL, these are great, keep them coming!

so far:
    yard ornaments
    guard dogs
    big poopers

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My Uncle had a goose. It was a great alarm and cheaper to feed than a guard dog but just as effective [​IMG]

If you want year round eggs, you need a Khaki Campbell, Indian Runner or Welsh Harlequin duck...not a goose.

9. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:I don't think they lay all year round.. xP Should have gotten chickens?

I have chickens too...lol They haven't laid at ALL yet. I was told from the person I got them from (And one other person that has some of the same) they they laid from May-Sept and then were done for that summer. They are a year old and nuttin yet... if they don't lay by winter, they won't be wintering over.

10. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Well, I didn't plan to have geese but someone dumped a gander off at our house, I suppose because we live on a lake and probably didn't realize that the cute little gosling would grow up to be a menacing gander [​IMG] I thought he was a duck, which tells you how much I knew at the time, but I felt sorry for him and took him in. He was so attached to me that I wanted to get him a partner and a lady talked me in to taking a trio because they were too noisy in her neighborhood. At the same time another woman begged me to take two more because they kept wandering off her property. I have questioned more than once how I got myself going from one goose to now ten( four goslings this spring) but I have to say I enjoy them very much and couldn't give any of them up now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by