WHY do you have geese?

Frogdogtimestwo

Songster
13 Years
May 21, 2008
I was thinking about my impulse buy of a trio of sebbies and I got to thinking what do I need them for besides eye candy for the yard? Since BYC has such a variety of people I thought I would put this out there and see what others have or use their geese for. THANKS, Frogdog

sheep

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
They make good yard watch- or house watch, if they're indoors. People tend to be more frightened of geese because you can't deter them with steak. ;P

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
They are fun to have. There is never a boring moment with 5 geese in your back yard!
big_smile.png

sheep

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Quote:
I don't think they lay all year round.. xP Should have gotten chickens?

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
because my mother likes things that have no practical purpose, that and I think she likes to see me and the hubby sliding around in goose poop while trying to work in the run

Wifezilla

Positively Ducky
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
My Uncle had a goose. It was a great alarm and cheaper to feed than a guard dog but just as effective
big_smile.png

If you want year round eggs, you need a Khaki Campbell, Indian Runner or Welsh Harlequin duck...not a goose.

Wolfwoman

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Chickaloon, Alaska
Quote:
I don't think they lay all year round.. xP Should have gotten chickens?

I have chickens too...lol They haven't laid at ALL yet. I was told from the person I got them from (And one other person that has some of the same) they they laid from May-Sept and then were done for that summer. They are a year old and nuttin yet... if they don't lay by winter, they won't be wintering over.

Goosehaven

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Indiana
Well, I didn't plan to have geese but someone dumped a gander off at our house, I suppose because we live on a lake and probably didn't realize that the cute little gosling would grow up to be a menacing gander
wink.png
I thought he was a duck, which tells you how much I knew at the time, but I felt sorry for him and took him in. He was so attached to me that I wanted to get him a partner and a lady talked me in to taking a trio because they were too noisy in her neighborhood. At the same time another woman begged me to take two more because they kept wandering off her property. I have questioned more than once how I got myself going from one goose to now ten( four goslings this spring) but I have to say I enjoy them very much and couldn't give any of them up now
smile.png

Top Bottom