Why Do You Have Turkeys? What Kind Do You Have?

Cause I have to feed the "addiction" and I have black Spanish, Bourbon Reds and Royal Palms......oh and 3 poults that are crosses from an Eastern Wild tom and Royal Palm hen.

I've had ducks and chickens, but turkeys are new to me this year. I have 6 four week olds that are "Calico Sweetgrass Royal Palms" from ebay.

I've had ducks and chickens. Just thought turkeys would be an interesting change of pace.

A.T. Hagan :

I have turkeys because chickens weren't making me crazy enough. White Midgets are what I have right now.

I sell poults.

I absolutely love this answer!!
lol.png

I only have 1 turkey that I got from a friend... A bourbon red poult. I think turkeys are actually pretty cute, and I'm always intrigued by their personalities. Hopefully she's a girl, as I think she is, so we can have some big turkey eggs.​

I have Bourbon Reds. 1 Tom, 2 Hens and 8 poults. I have turkeys just to "turkey watch". I love watching them walk around. And I especially love watching the Hens start fights with the roosters and win.
big_smile.png

I have one Blue Slate hen whom I acquired from a friend who couldn't keep her (very long story). She is SUCH a wonderful bird, very loving and sweet. She gets along wonderfully well with all my other chickens and guineas (as long as the male guinea keeps his distance)
big_smile.png
I'd love to get a blue slate tom, but I'm a bit afraid to shake up the flock dynamics since everything goes so smoothly now... Any turkey farmers care to weigh in on that? Should I leave well enough alone, or would she be happy with one of her own kind to hang with? She has adopted one silkie hen and the hen's two chicks as "hers". She no longer gets up on the roost to sleep, but cuddles in one corner with "her" silkie and the 2 chicks.
smile.png

I don't have any yet but wish to have turkeys and mucovy ducks and a llama, alpaca, guanaco or vicuna.

We are making a sustainable housing community where I live. It will include earth friendly housing, solar, wind and biodiesel energy, animals and plants native to the americas.

I am practicing with chickens now but hope to have the original domesticated Turkeys from Mexico as well as some Oscellated Turkeys.

I have 6 bourbon reds, 4 royal palms and 4 bronze turkeys. We just started to raise turkeys 1. because we love to watch them and 2. I would like to start breeding them to feed our family. We raise our own chickens, a friend raises pigs and now we raise turkeys and ducks. We have a HUGE garden for fresh veggies for our family (chickens, turkeys and ducks love our garden too!!!) So we have meat, eggs and veggies!

A turk hen with babies freeranging with the chickens will keep the hawks, & even sparrows ran off. They are ok with the birds they live with though. I have Blue Slates, Royal Palms, Mottled, & a 7 yr. old Black Spanish/ Eastern Wild cross that was hand raised, & LOVES to be carried wherever we go.

Back
Top Bottom