Why do you stand eggs on end to incubate?

Rooster Ray

Songster
15 Years
Nov 20, 2008
South West Michigan
This maybe a silly question but I was wondering why eggs are stood up when we humans incubate but in nature the hen sits on them laying on there side? I am assuming it has something to do with the air sac but was just curious.

welcome-byc.gif

Some people like the egg carton method (eggs standing) better than putting the eggs on there side.

You can do a search (at the top of the page) for "egg carton method" if you would like more info about it !!

I think it looks much easyier for a chick to hatch being on it's side and I also dont mind turning by hand. JMO !!

With the egg carton method you just tilt the whole carton to turn them.

I think it is because the turner in the HovaBator is set up by necessity to turn the eggs by rotation. The large poultry hatchers have incubators that to the same. There are other incubators that do not use the rotation method or turning. The TX-6 and the Top Hatch are two that come to mind. I am not sure about the Brinsea but I think the eggs lay flat on those too. You are right the hen does well with the eggs laying on the side. It is just a matter of engineering for the turner to get eggs turned or rotated in a square or rectangle space. The egg carton method is convenient for people who do not have a turner as they can just elevate the end of the incubator the the opposite end to accomplish the same thing as the mechanical turner. It is not better, but just another way to accomplish the task.

Laying flat is ok, but small end down if stored or incubating. Just dont incubated or store eggs with small end up.

The shape of most egg will keep the small end down even in the nest.

If eggs are small end up the air cell will move to the small end.Not enough room for the chick to hatch.

Eggs flat or small end down, about the same. Have the turn-x ,roll-x, and qgf sportman incubators. The tx & rx eggs laid flat, the sportman small end down.

JUST DONT INCUBATE SMALL END UP.

Thanks for the input you guys in this forum are amazing. I am planning on trying to incubate some eggs maybe in a month or so. By then I should be able to let them fully feather out and then put them in the barn with a heat lamp for a couple more weeks hopefully it will be at least 50 by then. If it wasnt so cold outside I would try now but it is way too cold around here lately but I cant wait to give it a try.

I never heard that the air cell will move to the small end of the egg.

and even if it did, the amount of air would be the same..

why wouldn't there be enough room for the chick??

Quote:
The area is smaller. If the chick zipps out the small end, hole will be smaller,harder for the chicks body to get out.
In case of Quail the hole would be about half.

Any egg that I have seen zipped on the small end,had to be help out.

Your right about the air cell being the same.

Just store a egg small end up for 2 weeks, then check the air cell will move.

Quote:
The area is smaller. If the chick zipps out the small end, hole will be smaller,harder for the chicks body to get out.
In case of Quail the hole would be about half.

Any egg that I have seen zipped on the small end,had to be help out.

Your right about the air cell being the same.

Just store a egg small end up for 2 weeks, then check the air cell will move.

well, how about that?? I will have to try that.. I never had one zip out the wrong end..

Back
Top Bottom