Why do you think chickens of a feather flock together???

chickincrazy

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 20, 2014
The middle of nowhere
Okay, I'm positive I'm not the only one who's noticed this, but when I let my chickens out into the yard, often times they run up by a bird of a similar color or size then run off to explore. My bantam barred rocks pair up, as do my orpingtons and partridge rocks. Why do you think they act this way? It doesn't have to be an educated guess! Anyone can answer!

This is my opinion; If you walked into a room and there were lots of different people grouped together, such as tall, short, dirty, clean, skinny, plump, talkative, quiet, who would you hang out with? If I was short, I certainly wouldn't hang with the tall peeps! I think it must be the same with chickens!

I have 4 different breeds, 2 each, and they do the same thing. They are in a fenced coop and run, but they roost together and forage together. Wondered the same thing. Maybe they think they are different animals. Lol.

Okay, I'm positive I'm not the only one who's noticed this, but when I let my chickens out into the yard, often times they run up by a bird of a similar color or size then run off to explore. My bantam barred rocks pair up, as do my orpingtons and partridge rocks. Why do you think they act this way? It doesn't have to be an educated guess! Anyone can answer!

This is my opinion; If you walked into a room and there were lots of different people grouped together, such as tall, short, dirty, clean, skinny, plump, talkative, quiet, who would you hang out with? If I was short, I certainly wouldn't hang with the tall peeps! I think it must be the same with chickens!
They "pair" off because different "strains" of chickens often inhabit the same strata in the pecking order. Therefor there is more harmony in the flock. Also chickens can only differentiate between about 100 other chickens. After that their brains sends out a "disk full" message.

Chickens are not grouped into races. There is only one race of chickens. But different strains of domestic fowl can and do possess widely differing abilities as well as personalities. The running up to another chicken is therefor a way that chickens confirm their place in the pecking order. It's like you or me squinting at someone across the street that we think that we recognize.

Here is a little experiment. If you have the room to do this take a little liquid black shoe polish and put a couple of racing stripes on a dominant white hen, or do the same thing with white shoe polish on a dominant black hen. When you turn the altered chicken back into the flock, chaos will often break out.

Last edited:
They "pair" off because different "strains" of chickens often inhabit the same strata in the pecking order. Therefor there is more harmony in the flock. Also chickens can only differentiate between about 100 other chickens. After that their brains sends out a "disk full" message.

Chickens are not grouped into races. There is only one race of chickens. But different strains of domestic fowl can and do possess widely differing abilities as well as personalities. The running up to another chicken is therefor a way that chickens confirm their place in the pecking order. It's like you or me squinting at someone across the street that we think that we recognize.

Here is a little experiment. If you have the room to do this take a little liquid black shoe polish and put a couple of racing stripes on a dominant white hen, or do the same thing with white shoe polish on a dominant black hen. When you turn the altered chicken back into the flock, chaos will often break out.

That's so cool. I'll have to try it!

Back
Top Bottom