Why do you think young chickens sometimes die for no reason?

safarichick101

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
College Station TX
My chickens aren't even 2 and I've already lost 2 to unknown cause. 1 got very sick and the other 2 were very unexpected. I'm not an adult.. And what I want to do has to be approved of my parents. I have lost 2 to unknown cause... 1 to a sickness (I did Isolate btw)... and 2 to predators. They all happened a while ago, but looking back I wish I had insisted that my parents had a necropsy on them. And they don't always listen when I say they need worming vacinations since they free range

Maybe you could look into home remedies for your birds. What is it your parents have issue with in worming them on a regular basis? Age 2 they should not be just dropping dead. Something else is going on. Where did you get your stock?

I lost 2 of 15 +- to mystery or illness. I really do not know if this is above or below adverage, but do believe my care is pretty to very good. Somethings die---birds people--animals. You could have just of had bad luck. I look at my feeding, water, living conditions, and figure if they are good and a chicken dies----that is just fate.

i think they die for a reason, just not a reason we can always control. i lost one out of our 6 when they were babies. i got up throughout the night checking on her and feeding her by hand. i was getting more and more attached every time i touched her. but in the end it was something congenitive, something out of my hands.

Do you know where or how I can get them wormed? Mine do free range often. Maybe they picked up some worms or ate something bad.
hit.gif

First if your parents aren't supportive try to find another Chicken keeper and ask for their help. I know I'd be glad to help if I lived nearby. If you haven't get all the books you can on Keeping chickens and read them. All of them. As for worms there are some natural things you can do. I read in Backyard Poultry about a garlic, carrot, dandelion, pumpkin recipe. My understanding is that you just chop them all up and mix together and feed it to the chickens. I know I would gladly trade some meds for some labor maybe someone near you can help. Oh and be sure to let your parents in on what you do if you should ask for help from someone else.

Quote:
awwww, sweetie
hugs.gif
, i know it hurts to lose your pets! we all understand here at BYC, just use the search button like backdoor chicken suggested, you should find an answer. and....more
hugs.gif
to you too!

A friend of minee had a chicken farm, she raised chicken for Tyson Company. She told me sometime chicken just die to an unknown causes. She did everything like she could with medication and all the requirement from the vendor.

I think in the spring when it gets warmer I'm going to completely change the way I take care of my chickens.
I have a few basic questions
1. It gets extremely hot in east texas and I was wondering if it would be beneficial to install a fan in the coop. Is it worth having electricity installed for the coop?
2. What is the best material for the outside part of the coop? Right now I use dirt but our native stuff has so much clay, making it IMPOSSIBLE to drain. And I don't want my birds getting Cocci. But when it rains and I've left food out, it smells!!! And when it rains hard the coop turns into a puddle...
3. What about the inside? I use straw... but it rains so much and the individual pieces get stuck in the water. GROSS! Is there a better material for particularly humid climates?
4. My chickens don't seem to eat the grit. But I've heard they need it. Do they need both the oyster shells (calcium) and the grit? I give it to them but they lay eggs in it... -.-

I want to show chickens but I'm a bit conscious of having the man check our current chickens and telling me they are all sick! I know its part of it and its good to find out what I need to do. The local poultry show is early january.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom