Why Do You Use Deep Bedding/Why Do You NOT Use Deep Bedding?

Pics
I'm putting together an article on using Deep Bedding in a small coop and wanted to make sure I had as complete a list of pros and cons as possible.

I know why I DO use this method and I can think of some reasons others might not want to use it, but I'd like to hear the voices of community experience in order to create a useful article.

Deep Bedding being defined as: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more.
I am currently using pine shavings as a Deep Bedding Method; however, I prefer using sand by keeping it clean with a kitty litter scooper. Sand, in my opinion, does not smell, is much cleaner (and dryer) and a LOT less work for me. I am only using the shavings now because I live in Florida (the land of sand 😬) and cannot find the proper washed construction sand I had in Maryland. The sand here creates too much dust.

I have had chickens since I was 8 and I have always used the deep bedding method. Personally I feel like it’s more sanitary, because once the older bedding gets wet and compacted down, you can put the clean stuff on top and not have to worry about cleaning it out so often. I see that a lot of people deep clean their coops a few times a year, but I highly don’t recommend that. Poultry (or birds in general) can vary various diseases which can harm your flock, so I personally clean my coop once a month in the summer. In the winter I strive to do it every other month (some months need it more than others) My coop is fairly average size and houses 18 chickens residing inside currently, so I feel like a deep cleaning every month satisfies their needs and keeps their cute lil fluffy butts clean :) I get my shavings from a local small business, and I LOVE THEM. They are supper low dust, and almost kinda damp when u get them, and it keeps them from flying into food and water. The one thing I would like to know from all of you is, what kind of waterer do y’all use in the winter. In the summer I use a big 3 gallon waterer, and it keeps my girls for a few days. I have tried heated pet bowls and anything else I could get my hands on but nothing has worked. I’m currently using two (1 gallon I think) normal sized waterers and filling them EVERYDAY. (Such a hassle) let me know ;)

The one thing I would like to know from all of you is, what kind of waterer do y’all use in the winter.
I use a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples year round. In winter, just add this stock tank de-icer. It requires electricity but works great. Only kicks on below 40* and turns off above. Safe with plastic buckets. I highly recommend.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...wjzo7HdwPjuAhWwAp0JHV8HBn4Qww96BAgEEFg&adurl=

ETA: The bucket sits on a cinder block inside the coop. Stays very dry. I leave it in place and carry a 5 gallon bucket of water to it as it needs filling.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...iH3_mKwfjuAhUHac0KHelHBiYQ9aACegQIAxBA&adurl=

Hmm...do. Have deep bedding? You @3KillerBs be the judge.

we have an elevated coop. We use shavings. So, it is certainly not deep litter bc it does not touch the ground.

we clean out the coop completely a few times a year. Sometimes this comes with a permethrin spray if the ladies are sporting lice 🤢).

we put one or two complete bag of shavings into the coop when it is completely cleaned out. Sometimes we add shavings on top. But, more often it is quickly swept out (so, not throughly like when we want to really clean it all and spray for bugs). and more clean shavings put in. In warm weather, this is done more frequently due to the smell.

we always try to get the shavings really covered in poop before we remove it. So, we turn it when it’s pretty poop laden, to expose cleaner sides. Since the coop is elevated, the poop dries out fairly well -but we are not a dry climate. Once it smells too much, and it’s very poop laden, so turning it does not reveal “clean” shavings, it is removed to the compost pile. We have removed it before this stage when the weather has been such that the poop isn’t drying out quickly enough snd it smells too bad, so for everyone’s health, it is removed.

right now, we have bedding that is frozen SOLID. It has a definite layer of poop under the roosts (we do not use poop boards), but we can’t turn or remove the bedding. We can add bedding on top of the soiled bedding. Once it warms up enough to remove it, it will be removed entirely.

so, I don’t know that we have deep bedding as we don’t fill up the coop until we can’t add any more, but we are similar in other ways.
Deep Bedding is completely dry & has no smell. It sounds like you have the hang of it, but allow the bedding to progress past deep for manure load. It would not freeze if properly managed. At times it sounds like there is deep litter, but due to infrequent additions & turning it quickly surpases the system principals and efficiency with manure load.

I use a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples year round. In winter, just add this stock tank de-icer. It requires electricity but works great. Only kicks on below 40* and turns off above. Safe with plastic buckets. I highly recommend.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...wjzo7HdwPjuAhWwAp0JHV8HBn4Qww96BAgEEFg&adurl=

ETA: The bucket sits on a cinder block inside the coop. Stays very dry. I leave it in place and carry a 5 gallon bucket of water to it as it needs filling.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...iH3_mKwfjuAhUHac0KHelHBiYQ9aACegQIAxBA&adurl=
I use an electric warming dog bowl

Farm Innovators Model P-60 60-Watt 1 ½ Gallon Heated Pet Bowl

Farm Innovators Model P-60 60-Watt 1 ½ Gallon Heated Pet Bowl

4.7 out of 5 stars 1,478

I started using the deep litter system this year after reading about it here. My coop is 4 x 8 and elevated about a foot off of the ground. Picture attached. I have 8 chickens. I add an inch or so of fresh shavings every week or so and leave the maintenance to the birds. I do clean out the brood boxes frequently so as to not get so many poopy eggs. The only problem I have is that I use PVC pipe feeders and the level of litter is getting such that it gets into the feeding pipe. I've started sweeping some of the litter out of the front door of the coop just to keep it out of the food. When things thaw out I will do a more thorough cleaning. The girls hang out under the coop most days or in the few places in run protected from snow.

Attachments

• coop.jpg
    coop.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 6
I only have 4 hens so I clean their coop daily It only takes a couple of minutes.
I keep a good couple of inches of wood chips on the linoleum floor in the coup all year long.

With that said I DO a deep bed in the run area of the tractor. Once the chicken tractor is parked in its winter home I lay plastic down and using hay and or wood chips 4" thick across the run add to it as needed.

In the spring I move the tractor and drag the plastic with the waste to the compost pile
4 hens..? Congratulations. Have over thirty! Family brings over Easter bunny chickens. They're cute till they jump out of the box. Then I get them.. Wouldn't except chickens from strangers.. No BS here, not dealing with it. Tractor, thought at first you were talking Farmall M.. Have one, and cut the smoke stack to get it through the door. Once the biggest tractor in the world. I have to use a wheel barrel, and a small one to get through the door, with a #2 shovle.. If you drop the litter on the garden with at least a ten day period to planting. You'll be good. 30 days is better.. Till. add or just top.. and plant through. My compost stays cold, don't know.. but the chips make good weed control. I stay away from straw.. to many issues. linoleum..? I've missed that memo.. Dirt.

The dirt floor certainly helps with the deep litter method, but it does not on its own mean you have the deep litter method going. DLM is when the substrate is moist and is actively composting. If your substrate is dry, it doesn't matter that the floor is dirt - you won't get the composting action and it won't be DLM, it will be deep bedding with a dirt floor.
What would I need to do to make it deep litter method if I have a dirt floor to keep it moist?

4 hens..? Congratulations. Have over thirty!
No one is competing. Everyone's opinion that keeps birds is valid. And mayble clue your family in to the fact that animals are not Easter toys? If you're accepting random easter chicks, the fact that your family handled them first doesn't mean you aren't accepting biorisk onto your farm. Also, no one asked about your Farmall? And you DEFINITELY don't want to put chicken poop on your garden 10 days before planting. Your post was confusing misinformative and somewhat combative. Why?

Back
Top Bottom