Why Do You Use Deep Bedding/Why Do You NOT Use Deep Bedding?

Pics
I use the deep litter method mostly to reduce the work load and it is very efficient. My coop is elevated so it insulates the floor, it gives the birds a place to scratch and it reduces the odor as it speeds the drying of the waste.
I do have plastic tubs under the roosts which help contain the majority of the poop and makes it easier to turn the manure into fertilizer without going onto the compost pile. I clean the coop twice a year, Spring & Fall. The manure from the bins goes around my fruit trees in the Fall (while the trees are dormant) which gives the manure time to process the nitrogen and theoretically helps protect the base of my fruit trees as it decomposes. In the Spring, the manure gets applied to the garden or pasture as needed. The litter, spring & fall is applied to the pasture.
I use shredded papper as my base litter simply because I am to cheap to buy litter. It does a fair job of absorbing moisture and it breaks down fine as it is composted, but to much can cause clumping. I also use shredded paper in my nest boxes and I rarely have to add shredded paper after the initial layer as the girls do that for me as they get in and out of the nest boxes. I do "stir" the nest box over flow through out as needed as well as adding papper to the nest boxes as they get low.

I live in Southwest Arizona and have used this method before and the chickens were just fine. The heat is the killer and they need plenty of ventilation.

A great example of how climate makes a difference and how coops can be adapted to local conditions.

- I only clean it twice a year (I don't like cleaning poop)
- it's easy
- it saves time, effort and money
- It doesn't smell
- everybody seems happy with it - both myself and the chickens

That's a great summary of the benefits that I also see.

I love this thread! Very informative!

I must use both. If I'm understanding correctly, deep litter in the run and deep bedding in the coop.

Being our first year with chickens the run started with wood chips that I would rake around and aerate 1-2 times a week. The wood chips broke down into dirt and I am adding in shavings this winter (mostly because we cannot access wood chips right now) but those are also mixing in a breaking down nicely. Our run is on a slight decline so as I rake I push in that direction and add more shavings in the front. The girls love this! It's like an entirely different run for them to scratch in!

The coop started with about 4" of hemp bedding and is probably about 6" now. I rake it around some and add a small layer on top. The coop is not slept in much so it's been very easy to keep clean.

I have found the most annoying/dirty part that I dislike is scraping the poop on the roosts. But no bedding will fix that issue.

After 10 months in the coop/run I will not change the bedding as it's been super easy to maintain with no smell or flies.

Now size? Chicken math is real and an edition will be added this spring. Amazingly, all 11 chickens have been locked in together for a week now and they are all getting along quite well. Even the two pullets! Well, ecept the rooster sometimes, who is still being taught his manners by the older gals. Poor guy😂

I have found the most annoying/dirty part that I dislike is scraping the poop on the roosts. But no bedding will fix that issue.
I'm guessing you have flat boards? I recommend you switch to large branches instead. I have thick branches (about 3.5 - 4 inches in diameter) and there's never any poop on them. Because they're round, it just rolls off and falls down. Perfect roost option!

I use deep litter because it’s easy. It also the benefit of helping to keep the birds warm in the winter. We are in the middle of an ice storm and it’s been WAY below freezing even in the negatives at one point. The ducks and the chickens are all cozy in the coop and even with all the extra poop in there I haven’t had a problem with smell. I don’t use it in the summer though. I’ve had trouble with flies when the deep litter warms up too much.

I have a large coop, currently occupying about 700 sq. ft. of a 2000 sq. ft. oak barn. The main roost for the hens is 12 foot long and 6 feet wide from the wall. I add pine flakes monthly at about 2 inches. This pile is 9 months old now and is 18 inches high in the middle. There are two more smaller roosts, probably 6 by 4 feet. There are no solid doors on the south side which has two single garage sized doors, but the interior has staggered baffles (corrugated roofing clear fiberglass sheets) and has a roof vent 6 inches tall by 40 feet long. It is 10-15 degrees warmer than the 5 degrees F we have right now. 200 chickens and lost only one to the cold. Only......

So the deep litter method works, you just have to plan and have the "volume" it will take to contain that much that long. You can't let the birds play with what is under the roosts, it is 70% of the coop's poo....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom